Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some questions about the Rajabhat Institutes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Some questions about the Rajabhat Institutes Reply with quote

I would like to work in Thailand after a few more years in the Middle East. Quite often, I see ads for Rajabhat Institutes in various locations. From these ads, I know a bit about the salary/benefits, but I still have a few questions. I hope some of you can help me.

1. In general, how are the working conditions? Is the weekly schedule reasonable? How about vacation? Do they offer long vacations during school breaks?

2. What is the atmosphere at the school? Are foreign teachers treated with respect? How about the caliber of the students? I guess this would depend on the particular institute.

3. Finally, what are the hiring standards? I have an MATEFL and about eight years of experience with a few at a university in Korea. Would this be acceptable?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Don't Do It. Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to work in Thailand after a few more years in the Middle East.

First off, I wouldn't really recommend Thailand. It wouldn't be prudent at this juncture. Maybe in a few years it will be different.

I have worked at a couple of Rajabhats and some of my friends have worked at others. They differ somewhat from each other.

Quote:
1. In general, how are the working conditions? Is the weekly schedule reasonable? How about vacation? Do they offer long vacations during school breaks?

You have to teach 12 - 18 hours/week. Officially you are supoposed to be there all day, but in my experience they are flexible about this. If they aren't don't accept the position. During the summer you may not be teaching but you are still require to clock in. You do have days of leave that you can request. Also there are many gov't holidays that usually make for long weekends.

Quote:
2. What is the atmosphere at the school? Are foreign teachers treated with respect? How about the caliber of the students?

I'd say yes, if you are a reasonable person. Don't be a crusader or nitpicker, just come and teach the classes you were hired to teach. Treat people with respect and you should receive it. If not, quit and go elsewhere. As far as the students go, they're fairly mixed with a few better than average students but you probably won't be impressed. They're like high school kids.

Quote:
. Finally, what are the hiring standards? I have an MATEFL and about eight years of experience with a few at a university in Korea. Would this be acceptable?

For 25,000 baht, what do you think?! Laughing That's about $625! Thailand is desperate for teachers, especially those with qualifications. In fact, you should probably be looking for a better job. Shocked
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Sigmoid,

Thanks so much for the comprehensive answer! You refer to applying for a better job than this one. What would you consider that to be? Another university with better conditions? Or, a language institute with higher salary? Just curious as to what are considered the best jobs in Thailand. My concern is not so much money as there's no way I could duplicate my current salary there. I'm more concerned with having a positive teaching experience for a few years.

Cheers!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My concern is not so much money as there's no way I could duplicate my current salary there.

Yes, of course.

Quote:
Just curious as to what are considered the best jobs in Thailand.

Not sure if there are "best jobs" in Thailand, but a Rajabhat in a nice location may fit your needs. For example, Kanchanaburi or Suan Dusit's Hua Hin campus. But a full-fledged university, gov't or private, may provide you with more benefits and free time. Although a language institute may pay more, they will undoubtedly want to maximise your teaching hours.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: another place Reply with quote

Although I wouldn't normally recommend AUA if you're not concerned about salary and are looking for a good teaching experience with a lot of time off you might consider them.

http://www.auathailand.org/

They have week-long breaks between their 6-week terms, I think two weeks off for Songkrahn and three for Christmas/New Year's. All of these breaks are unpaid. They also have a number of branches in Bangkok and the provinces.
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigmoid,

Thanks again! I guess I've got some time to decide the best option for me. When I do get to Thailand, I'll probably just take a few months to look around and find something suitable. Hope to see that you're still there!

Take care.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hope to see that you're still there!

Nah!! I'm bailing out of this mess very very soon. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: