Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shall I bite or leave it alone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benjpedro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Shall I bite or leave it alone Reply with quote

Dear wonderful expats in the emirates...

So the offer given to teach university level students in basic engineering subject(s) is AED 11,000 basic + AED 9,000 housing (AED 21k total).

At this time, is this a decent offer for a bachelor? I have industry work experience and one year teaching experience... Is this average and good enough for a three year contract?

It's a life changer for sure so I'm hoping the collective wisdom and experience can help me make an informed decision.

many thanks in advance
benjie.
Aldofresco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: shall I bite? Reply with quote

I'd think twice about biting. Not sure what your credentials are, but AED 11,000 isn't very much. Plus, depending where you will be located, AED 9,000 isn't going to get you much of a place in which to live. Engineering instructors/profs are usually among the highest-paid of any faculty.
benjpedro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. i will try to draft an email to the company to renegotiate...i'm not yet sure as to the tone (any cultural quirks with regards to negotiating with them?)

i was loooking online and studio flats in the marina in al reem are going for AED 55,000. not sure what other expenses on top of that.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjpedro wrote:
thanks. i will try to draft an email to the company to renegotiate...i'm not yet sure as to the tone (any cultural quirks with regards to negotiating with them?)

What exactly are your academic qualifications and what subject did you teach for your one year of experience? If your credentials are mediocre to average, then negotiating will be a waste of your time and theirs.
herenow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: offer is okay Reply with quote

I thought the offer sounded reasonable for the qualifications. And, 9000 AED (a month) will get you a decent place to live - of course it depends on the location, and you are at the whim of the market and landlords when you have to find your own housing.
helenl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt if negotiation is an option, most employers won't, simply because they don't have to.

However it never hurts to ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: