Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching experience in a Jewish academy- Valid in ME or ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ton a bricks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Teaching experience in a Jewish academy- Valid in ME or ?? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am living in Mexico City and am planning on going to work at a primary or secondary school in order to "retool" after about ten years of teaching university.

I am possibly going to receive an offer for a well paid job in a Jewish private academy.

While I want experience for the sake of experience, I wonder if I will be shooting myself in the foot if later I decided to go to the Middle East to work, and that this experience would be detrimental to my application. Or would I be able to say I have been out of work for a year? (Or two or more in the event?) I actually would rather teach elementary than high school, but the thought of having a high salary and improving my adolescent teaching skills is somewhat attractive. I looked through 2 years of past postings and saw no mention of anything similar. Thanks in advance.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you have to mention that the school is Jewish in your CV?
ton a bricks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Would I have to tell... Reply with quote

I m not sure I would have to tell. But the letterhead of the school has a menorah embossed on it, so if I were asked for a letter of confirmation or anything, that might give it away, along with the Hebrew.

When I was in Egypt MANY years ago I was told I would never get a visa for the Sudan because they would know I had gone to Egypt from Isreal since I had no stamp from either in my passport. I was told there were data bases kept even as far back as the mid eighties. That makes me paranoid.

But not telling at all would also make it look like I hadn't been working over however long that lapse turned out to be. I sort of have this idea that if my other options were to not pan out, I would hate to eliminate that of going to the Middle East...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching experience in a Jewish academy- Valid in ME or Reply with quote

ton a bricks wrote:
I looked through 2 years of past postings and saw no mention of anything similar. Thanks in advance.

I'm not surprised that you didn't find anything. I've been here since the 90s and I think this is a first.

I'm not really sure what kind of effect this would have. Because it does not involve Israel at all. In theory the problem is with the country, not Jews. I can only speculate that the most likely problem country would be Saudi Arabia.

But, I suspect that it might very well not be a problem at all in Morocco, Egypt, Oman, and Qatar... and probably also the UAE. They would have a problem with a big empty space on your CV though.

No one can answer this for sure... I would leave it on the CV... apply... and see what happens.

A bigger problem for most teachers who are interested in the Middle East is that they don't have the proper credentials and experience.

VS
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching experience in a Jewish academy- Valid in ME or Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

I'm not really sure what kind of effect this would have. Because it does not involve Israel at all. In theory the problem is with the country, not Jews. I can only speculate that the most likely problem country would be Saudi Arabia.

But, I suspect that it might very well not be a problem at all in Morocco, Egypt, Oman, and Qatar... and probably also the UAE. They would have a problem with a big empty space on your CV though.
VS

From your experience in the Middle East, would you say that the problem is really only with Israel and not with Jews in general? Could a qualified Jew find a job in most countries in that part of the world? I assume, of course, that Saudi Arabia is out of the question.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a question that has come up here a number of times over the years. Here's my take on it... I worked with a handful of Jews in the Gulf. But they had one thing in common. They were a "Jew" as I am a "Christian." I was raised as Christian and put that on my applications although technically I am not one. They also put Christian on their applications. Laughing

No one ever quizzes you... but they chose to do this to avoid the whole issue.

If you have the right credentials as these teachers did (MA and a few years of teaching Academic English at university level), and keep your religious beliefs, or lack thereof, private... no problem getting a job.

To be honest, I never encountered anyone who put Jewish on their application. So, I don't know if they would hire someone who was openly Jewish or not. Nor has anyone here mentioned that they did it and got turned down. (or accepted)

VS
(I do recall that we had a woman who asked this question a few years back and expected to go there and not work on Saturdays... or high holidays. We pointed out that everyone works Saturdays and Sundays... and the only religious holidays recognized are Muslim. Never heard whether she tried to push this issue or not. Cool Of course, now some countries have moved the weekend to Friday/Saturday... so perhaps she could try again.)
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Isla Guapa,

I knew a few Jewish teachers in Saudi. Of course, they didn't put that on the employment form under "religion." Very Happy

I also don't think it would be a problem in any Arab country except (probably) Saudi (although Palestine might also not find it too attractive, but there aren't many EFL jobs there anyway.)

By the way, ton a bricks, if you're Jewish, you might want to follow the practice of those Jewish teachers in Saudi (and put "Christian" on any form that asks for religion).

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: