Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apartments near Sathorn? Information?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jennad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Apartments near Sathorn? Information? Reply with quote

So I'm moving to Thailand in about a month, and my school is setting me up with a "service apartment" for my initial stay. I have no clue what this is, if it's a temporary living situation, or if these kinds of places are good for long-term stays. My school is located in the Sathorn area, and so is this service apartment.

Should I look for a new living arrangement, or are service apartments generally ok? I quickly did a search on Cragistlist for apartments in Sathorn, and most of them were ridiculously expensive, so I gather this is a nice area.

I don't want to spend more than 10,000 baht on a place, but 7-8,000 baht would be ideal. I have no idea what I'm talking about really, or even if this is a realistic amount to aim for. Any advice for a newbie to Bangkok?? Thanks!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Apartments near Sathorn? Information? Reply with quote

Jennad wrote:
So I'm moving to Thailand in about a month, and my school is setting me up with a "service apartment" for my initial stay. I have no clue what this is, if it's a temporary living situation, or if these kinds of places are good for long-term stays. My school is located in the Sathorn area, and so is this service apartment.

Should I look for a new living arrangement, or are service apartments generally ok? I quickly did a search on Cragistlist for apartments in Sathorn, and most of them were ridiculously expensive, so I gather this is a nice area.

I don't want to spend more than 10,000 baht on a place, but 7-8,000 baht would be ideal. I have no idea what I'm talking about really, or even if this is a realistic amount to aim for. Any advice for a newbie to Bangkok?? Thanks!

Land, settle and look.

ANYTHING / EVERYTHING you see on the net will be priced anywhere between 2 and 10 times more than the rate on the ground.

MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't want to spend more than 10,000 baht on a place, but 7-8,000 baht would be ideal. I have no idea what I'm talking about really, or even if this is a realistic amount to aim for.

Not really realistic for anything in that area. Obviously there are always Thai style unfurnished shoebox rooms that can be found for under that price range, but you probably wont want to live like that for long. Sato9rn is on the BTS (skytrain ) and MRT (subway) so you should check out other areas that are within a couple stops from Satorn/Silom stops. For something comfortable in central Bangkok, you should plan for at least 10,000/month. Can be done for slightly less (6-10K/mth), but will be far from major transport (BTS/MRT) or very small and/or old/unfurnished.

Check out www.9apartment.com for cheaper options and www.mrroomfinder.com for the 10-20++K range. Most new 1 bedroom condos are going for 10-15K++/mth in central Bangkok. Studios can be had for slightly less.

Best bet to find accom is to get here and hit the streets looking. I wouldn't recommend booking anything online, but those sites will give you a rough idea what you should get for these price ranges and areas.

Most apartments/condos will ask for deposit + 1st and last months rent. So plan for at about 30,000 baht (about $1000) just to get started on a new place.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are receiving a typical TEFL salary in Thailand then it might be wise to look outside of the metropolitan Bangkok area for suitable and affordable accomodation You can still find places offering studio apartments for about Baht 3,500 Monthly in the Thonburi and Samut Prakarn areas (not far from Sathorn/Silom Roads) Of course these are Thai style apartments and not farang western atyle. Good luck in your search! Smile
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ANYTHING / EVERYTHING you see on the net will be priced anywhere between 2 and 10 times more than the rate on the ground.

Not really. www.mrroomfinder.com is not an agency, its just a site for owners looking for renters. Its just a free connection site. Prices are pretty normal. almost everything on 9apartment is below 10,000/mth.

most of the places that double their rents online are for the very high end stuff anyways. I find it hard to believe that that something online priced at 60,000 could be found for 10,000 in person (6 times), let alone 100,000--10,000 (10 times). Maybe double.

Quote:
Thonburi and Samut Prakarn areas (not far from Sathorn/Silom Roads)

IMHO, you would be a fool to work in Satorn and live in Samut Prakan. Thonburi might seem close, but the traffic can be ridiculous. New skytrain extension helps a little, but you would be looking at a 45-60+ minute commute depending on where in Thonburi you chose to live.

OP:
Quote:

"service apartment" for my initial stay. I have no clue what this is

These places are usually way over priced. They are kind of like long stay hotels. a good chunk of what you pay is for all the furnishings (tv, dvd, fridge, plates, pots, sheets, pillow, etc, etc, etc), cleaning, laundry, extra services.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not really. www.mrroomfinder.com is not an agency, its just a site for owners looking for renters. Its just a free connection site. Prices are pretty normal. almost everything on 9apartment is below 10,000/mth.

most of the places that double their rents online are for the very high end stuff anyways. I find it hard to believe that that something online priced at 60,000 could be found for 10,000 in person (6 times), let alone 100,000--10,000 (10 times). Maybe double.

Quote:
Thonburi and Samut Prakarn areas (not far from Sathorn/Silom Roads)

IMHO, you would be a fool to work in Satorn and live in Samut Prakan. Even with the BTS extension, its still a very long way to travel. Thonburi might seem close, but the traffic can be ridiculous as well. New skytrain extension helps a little, but you would be looking at a 30-60+ minute commute depending on where in Thonburi you chose to live, even with the BTS.

OP:
Quote:

"service apartment" for my initial stay. I have no clue what this is

These places are usually way over priced. They are kind of like long stay hotels. a good chunk of what you pay is for all the furnishings (tv, dvd, fridge, plates, pots, sheets, pillow, etc, etc, etc), cleaning, laundry, extra services.
Steinmann

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Apartments near Sathorn? Information? Reply with quote

Jennad wrote:

I like this website:

http://www.mrroomfinder.com/detail.php?id=4863

I'm not in Thailand, but that's about the type of arrangement I'd be looking for.
Jennad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info, everyone! I will check out some of the sites mentioned and hopefully be able to find something legit a few weeks after I'm there. The internet is a good place to start, but of course I plan on hitting the streets to check out places.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case it hasnt been mentioned yet.

You should plan to pay at least 1 months rent + deposit up front and in some cases 1 months rent + 2 months deposit. So if you are in the range of 10,000/mth, it will probably cost about 20-30,000+ just to get started. If you sign a year lease, some places give you the last month for free or some other deal for completing the lease.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: