Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL Endorsed US Teaching credential vs. Delta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: ESL Endorsed US Teaching credential vs. Delta Reply with quote

I have a masters in education, a teaching certificate for pre K- 8th and some graduate level classes in ESL but no specific certificate for ESL.

I am considering teaching adults in the UAE. I am debating getting endorsed for K-12 ESL or getting a Celta/Delta. I am currently teaching at a private English school in China and am considering trying for something in Dubai.

Does anyone know the general consensus of the value of an ESL teaching endorsement for K-12 from the US vs. getting a Celta or Delta certificate. Is an endorsement which includes theory, application and methodology with a supervised teaching component as valuable to employers as a Delta? I am assuming they would be comparable. Am I wrong? Thanks for opinions.
helenl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For International K-12 schools you will need a K-12 teaching qualification, not an ESL certification. Your preK - 8 would be useful for whichever curriculum you are certified in.

For the desirable tertiary you will need a related ESL/EFL/TEFOL Master's plus 3 years post grad experience for consideration.

Do Celta's get hired? Yes, as adjuncts, no benefits no sponsorship (and sponsorship is required to work legally in UAE and the rest of the GCC).

The Master's in Education may be useful if you want to work in HCT's Education program and if you have teachin teaching experience as well
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ESL Endorsed US Teaching credential vs. Delta Reply with quote

PBJ2 wrote:
Does anyone know the general consensus of the value of an ESL teaching endorsement for K-12 from the US vs. getting a Celta or Delta certificate. Is an endorsement which includes theory, application and methodology with a supervised teaching component as valuable to employers as a Delta? I am assuming they would be comparable. Am I wrong? Thanks for opinions.

When one starts having credentials like yours, employers are often not able to decipher them. I'd say that you have two options to attempt to get into the Middle East.

One is to get full K-12 certification and teach in the International Schools. But for the best of these, you would need a few years of related experience. You might want to look at the positions being filled by TeachAway for the UAE Ministry of Education - in or near Abu Dhabi. This is about the only recruiter based hiring that can be recommended. These jobs are very well paid, but you need to have good experience in crowd control... I mean... classroom management. UAE kids can be difficult. Cool

To get into teaching adults in the UAE, your credentials don't fit very well. US ESL K-12 credentials won't help. If you add a CELTA, you might be able to get your MA + post grad EFL stuff accepted if you had 3-5 years of "related experience." By that I mean teaching adults (preferably Arabic speakers) Academic English - preferably reading/writing.

Personally... assuming that you are under 30 (just guessing, if you are over 50, probably ignore this Laughing), I would do as many of these credentials as you can afford. I would extend my US certification to cover K-12 and get both a CELTA and a DELTA. This will expand your opportunities in the field - not to mention provide professional development.

VS
PBJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much closer to 50 than 30 Laughing but thanks for the info. I tried Teachaway but I have only one year experience in the public school classroom and was told it wasn't enough. It looks like I will need to find someplace at home or another international school to teach at for another couple years first if I want to go that route.

I am probably not too far from a masters in tesol but I am wondering how difficult it would be to find a job in the US right now teaching at the university level in order to get experience. Its easy to find university level jobs in China but they seem to be primarily only for oral English and it doesn't look like that counts for much in UAE. And the pay is very low.

Thanks again for the help!

Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that if you are flexible about where you work, there is IEP teaching to be picked up in the US. The big problem is that it is not full time, nor with benefits.

VS
PBJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IEP teaching? I know the term from teaching special ed for a year, individual education plan, but I'm not sure how you are using the term here.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBJ2 wrote:
Much closer to 50 than 30 Laughing but thanks for the info. I tried Teachaway but I have only one year experience in the public school classroom and was told it wasn't enough. It looks like I will need to find someplace at home or another international school to teach at for another couple years first if I want to go that route.

I am probably not too far from a masters in tesol but I am wondering how difficult it would be to find a job in the US right now teaching at the university level in order to get experience. Its easy to find university level jobs in China but they seem to be primarily only for oral English and it doesn't look like that counts for much in UAE. And the pay is very low.

Actually, experience teaching conversation is viewed as worthless in pretty much most of the Mid East if you're looking to teach in a university. And as VS mentioned, even if you had the TEFL qualifications/experience to teach at the college/uni level in the US, you won't find much in the way of full time jobs with benefits. Given your age, perhaps your best option is to beef up your k-12 credentials and focus on gaining more public school experience to get into one of those UAE jobs. But certainly don't rule out getting a CELTA or equivalent TEFL cert; you could start easing into teaching young adults after 4-5 years.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBJ2 wrote:
IEP teaching? I know the term from teaching special ed for a year, individual education plan, but I'm not sure how you are using the term here.

IEP = Intensive English Program. IEPs are ESL programs offered at universities/colleges that prepare students for academic learning and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: