Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending a Parcel to the UK from Bangkok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
im_not_a_violentdrunk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Sending a Parcel to the UK from Bangkok Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I'm in Bangkok for a week before I go on to Chiang Mai for my Celta Course. I was just wondering if it's possible for a non-thai speaking person to send a package back to England. Say for example 15-20 t-shirts. Does anyone know where I could do this and a ballpark figure of cost? Thanks in advance for your help. Absolutely loving the hot weather here Very Happy
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a Parcel to the UK from Bangkok Reply with quote

im_not_a_violentdrunk wrote:
Hi Guys, I'm in Bangkok for a week before I go on to Chiang Mai for my Celta Course. I was just wondering if it's possible for a non-thai speaking person to send a package back to England. Say for example 15-20 t-shirts. Does anyone know where I could do this and a ballpark figure of cost? Thanks in advance for your help. Absolutely loving the hot weather here Very Happy

Go to the post office.
Surface mail = slow (months) but cheap. Air parcel is faster but more expensive.
Rates will vary with weight and speed.

They even sell boxes and can do the packaging if need be.

MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are sending anything that has value to you and you dont want it lost then I would recommend sending via FedEx, DHL or another international courier. These are fast, secure and have tracking codes, but are a little more expensive obviously.

I am sure someone will come along and sing the praises of the Thailand post system but I can tell you from experience (8 years) that Ive had about a 50% success rate in both receiving mail from overseas and sending mail overseas while in Thailand.

TBH, I even had trouble with FedEx on the Thailand side of things. Paid about $50-75 to get documents express mailed (3 days guarantee) from overseas. Tracking said it arrived in Thailand after 2 days. Then I didn't hear anything for 4 days. When I called FedEx in Bangkok they said that it was in their warehouse in Bangkok and they would deliver it to me (2 hours away) within a week (even though I had paid for express 3 day delivery). When I called FedEx headquarters, they tore a strip off Bangkok office and it was in my hands by the end of the day. Still better then Thai mail as it least it wasn't lost or stolen.

End of the day its up to you. Sending 20 t-shirts might get expensive via courier, but its by size and weight so maybe not. Check it out.
im_not_a_violentdrunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the help guys. I'm not against spending a fair bit of money on the postage (so that it's registered) with DHL or something. The saving that I'm making on the clothes themselves makes it worthwhile for me. I've found that the genuine fakes last quite well haha!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thai post, #5 box (just t-shirts - squeeze them in).
Air parcel (with tracking number).

Gets there, get the job done and about 1/2 the cost of DHL.

MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am sure someone will come along and sing the praises of the Thailand post system but I can tell you from experience (8 years) that Ive had about a 50% success rate in both receiving mail from overseas and sending mail overseas while in Thailand.

Quote:

Thai post. Gets there, get the job done

Not from my experience.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaiPenRai wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thai post. Gets there, get the job done

Not from my experience.

Which was why I included the stuff in the middle that you forgot to quote.
He is just sending t-shirts...

MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Fair enough.

Quote:

which is why I said

Quote:
If you are sending anything that has value to you and you dont want it lost...

More of a warning to other people who may read this thread and send something more important only to have it misplaced by Thailand Post (even with a tracking number-happened to me twice). Once the package was located after 4-5 days and once it vanished from the earth.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Fair enough.

Quote:

which is why I said

Quote:
If you are sending anything that has value to you and you dont want it lost...

More of a warning to other people who may read this thread and send something more important only to have it misplaced by Thailand Post (even with a tracking number-happened to me twice). Once the package was located after 4-5 days and once it vanished from the earth.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have anything of value...(clothes, jewelry, money etc.) it's best to send it by FEDEX, They are reliable and have an excellent tracking system. I have used FEDEX in Thailand for years...have even sent money and gifts with them to friends overseas and they always received it. If you use the regular Thai post do not send anything of value...things tend to disappear in the LOS never to be traced again! Smile
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I cant believe it but I actually agree with EE.
im_not_a_violentdrunk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, got a quote of 6000 baht for a registered week guarentee for anything up to 25kg, if anyone was curious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: