Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From other boards, what do you never get used to here?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatcher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: From other boards, what do you never get used to here? Reply with quote

Keep it on the lighter side.
The Mad Hatter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force-feeding toddlers until they throw up, and, of course, the lunatic driving.
Handyman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers up the nose all the way to the wrist. Shocked
AmericanEnglish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thịt ch� (dog meat) restaurants
just noel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dishonesty, selfishness, and greed.
inhanoi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unexpected instances are sincerity, kindness and humor from strangers, and the depth of cross-cultural friendship that can develop with so little effort.
The Mad Hatter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inhanoi wrote:
The unexpected instances are sincerity, kindness and humor from strangers, and the depth of cross-cultural friendship that can develop with so little effort.

I'll second that.

I don't think Noel's observations accurately represent Vietnam's population in general.
skarper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in Korea - I think it's necessary to make the distinction between those involved in the EFL scam (especially at the lower end of the market) and the normal Vietnamese who just want to bring up their families the best they can.

People here are generally pretty kind and helpful in my experience. But I do steer well clear of the EFL businesses.
captainhook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just noel wrote:
The dishonesty, selfishness, and greed.

Oh I got used to those things a long time ago. It's the profound xenophobia that I still find astounding. The lack of interest in anything but taking tiny steps up the Vietnamese social ladder. Their focus is so local.
inhanoi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, captain, such over generalizations render your comments meaningless. Who are "they," anyway? All Vietnamese? Half? Some? Some of the ones you've spoken to?

The numerous educated Vietnamese who I deal with regularly have a clear awareness of, and respect for, western culture and work/education ethics. Your comments don't apply to them.
snollygoster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Insularism Reply with quote

The fact that Vietnam is the centre of the world, and anything of any value to humanity was invented in Vietnam.
The rest of the world is just over the horizon from Vung Tau, and probably doesnt even exist.
If I won a million dollars I would take a holiday to DALAT! No where else exists.
Of course the rest of the wporld speaks Vietnamese, and the English language is just a money-making scam- no one actually speaks it.
Vietnamese can speak Tieng Viet from the day they were born.
captainhook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inhanoi wrote:
Please, captain, such over generalizations render your comments meaningless. Who are "they," anyway? All Vietnamese? Half? Some? Some of the ones you've spoken to?

The numerous educated Vietnamese who I deal with regularly have a clear awareness of, and respect for, western culture and work/education ethics. Your comments don't apply to them.

Well...I was once a corporate teacher at the Hanoi branch of RMIT and though I will admit there are more 'know thy enemy' types in the North, I was speaking more generally of the college students who make up the majority of ESL students.

Certainly the post doi moi born kids are more global in their perspective. I would also submit that any statement we make will be a 'generalization.' Oh, and 'educated' is a relative term in a land where so many purchase PhDs and face rules...which was the point of my comment about seeing things in local terms. They care mostly about their own status here....
The Mad Hatter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Insularism Reply with quote

snollygoster wrote:
The fact that Vietnam is the centre of the world, and anything of any value to humanity was invented in Vietnam.
The rest of the world is just over the horizon from Vung Tau, and probably doesnt even exist.
If I won a million dollars I would take a holiday to DALAT! No where else exists.
Of course the rest of the wporld speaks Vietnamese, and the English language is just a money-making scam- no one actually speaks it.

Ha ha ha Snolly....... you're definAtely just the best!
inhanoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What never ceases to amaze me about living in Vietnam is seeing the sad and sorry ex-pats who for a variety of reasons have decided to deal with their own unhappiness and lack of fulfillment by channeling it into resentment of the local people and environment. The worst are the ones who have found themselves in unfulfilling local marriages.

Does living in other countries cause these levels of cynicism, acrimony, jealousy and resentment, or is it only living in Vietnam that does this?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Insularism Reply with quote

snollygoster wrote:

I disagree. Many Vietnamese are proud of their country, but there is nothing wrong with that, at least in principle. Rabid nationalism is a very different matter though. On the whole, most Vietnamese I've spoken to seem fairly realistic about their country's international standing (or lack thereof).

In regards to how insular their outlook is, it doesn't really surprise me. It's a traditional society, there is strict censorship, language barriers exist outside the country and a Vietnamese passport guarantees visa nightmares in God-knows how many places. Besides, what percentage of the locals here can afford to take time away from work, strap on a backpack and go 'find themselves' in India for six months or something?

I'd be betting that you are a relatively well-traveled person snollygoster. If so, cool. So am I and so are most of the TEFLers I've met here. It's just the nature of the beast. Whilst we may be well-traveled, it doesn't necessary follow that most of our fellow countrymen are and that's something they have in common with the Vietnamese here. Indeed, where do a lot of our compatriots go when they do go 'abroad'? In Australia, it's Bali. I've been there too and it's a beautiful island, but an authentic 'off the beaten track' adventure it ain't.

The hordes of English who infest the Spanish islands every summer are another example. Most of them seem to just eat English food, drink English beer, watch English sport and TV shows, listen to English music and hang out with other English people. Moreover, some of them do it year-after-year! I saw something about 10 years ago that pretty much says it all. I was at this gigantic beer garden in Magaluf which was bursting with English tourists. There was a huge TV showing an episode of 'Only Fools and Horses' (with the volume down), a very high percentage of the patrons were drinking British lagers or bitters and eating traditional Spanish delicacies like fish & chips and bangers & mash Rolling Eyes. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between them going to Spain and staying at home was maybe it was a bit cheaper, had nicer weather and beaches and there existed a higher probability of possibly getting laid.

I'm not knocking anyone - it's their time and their money. What I guess I'm saying is that if many of the people in that beer garden had won a million dollars, Magaluf would probably be where they'd go. In short, I really don't see the distinction between that and a Vietnamese person wanting to go to Dalat. Just because you have a few stamps in a passport doesn't mean you have any idea about traveling and there are a hell of Westerners out there who, along with most Vietnamese, I would personally regard as pretty clueless about anything to do with the outside world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: