Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nazarbayev in Kazakhstan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Nazarbayev in Kazakhstan Reply with quote

Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools are programs for gifted and talented students in grades 7-12. Package sounds pretty good.

Anyone got info/experience there? How about just Kazakhstan generally? (And yes, I saw Borat. Laughing )
kazpat

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a phone interview with them this week. FYI with the exception of Astana the first schools are going to be in some pretty small cities, Semey, Oskemen, etc. I live and teach in Kazakhstan, if you have specific questions then I am happy to try and help. I wrote a pretty long post in the Russia - CIS forum about my experience teaching in KZ and life in general. Chris Merriman's and KZblog as well as Peace Corps blogs are good sources of information about life here.

Borat is complete nonsense but there are certainly cultural differences that you will need to get used to, especially if you end up in one of the smaller cities. They plan to have 20+ schools by 2014 I think.
MoonOverSangha

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also really interested in the Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools . I had an interview and feel it went pretty well. I am particularly interested in any info on the city of Semey that anyone can give me. The internet is not giving out too much info. Has anyone been there or live there? Is it an attractive city? Is there anything to do there? Is there any kind of social life? Any info at all would be very helpful. Also any info on teaching in Kazakhstan and those schools specifically would be greatly appreciated. I need to decide between there, if offered the position, and Al Ain in the UAE, and possibly a few other positions as well. Thanks a bunch.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across a job offer from them. Is anyone there now? Could you tell me a bit abotu working there?
astrayalien

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NIS are still advertising. I'm having a look, the country looks interesting. It would be good to get some more posts from people in Kazakhstan already.
DarylM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to work there in August - in Semey. I'd be interested in talking to anyone who is there already or is signing up for this year.

Hi again Kazpat, I think we may have bumped into one another on another forum. Smile
kazpat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salamatzsizba Daryl,

Yes we did, congratulations on your position! Semey is on the other side of the country from me so I don't know too much about life there but if you have any general questions about living in KZ then I am happy to help. I look forward to meeting you in August.

Sauboliniz,

KP Very Happy
Dedicated

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth checking the Russia and C.I.S board here as several people have posted there about Kazakhstan.....Almaty, Astana etc.
Joshua Wells

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: NIS in Kazakhstan Reply with quote

The NIS school system has about five more years of foreigners before the proeject to upgrade the teaching approaches to more Western standards is fulfilled. Presently, that is the sole reason foreign faces are hired; the local teachers are a pretty capable bunch so if team-teaching is not your thing, one would be better to look elsewhere. I enjoyed a good life in my northern outpost of Uralsk, but be warned; you will have NO LIFE as the NIS school has the attitude of owning their teachers fully; Work is hard but rewarding; students fantastic, but any other city except Almaty of Astana, expect dismal conditions, geographic isolation, and third-world living conditions. That being said, going in the right mental attitude can end of an adventure that is memorable, warm, and rich.
kazpat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
expect dismal conditions, geographic isolation, and third-world living conditions

As a 5 year resident of one of the regional cities I beg to differ. In regards to the "NO LIFE" comment, the teachers at the NIS I work at manage to have a quite an active social life. I sometimes worry about people partying too hard. Locals are great about inviting teachers to villages, dacha, picnics etc.

Exactly what did you find dismal?

With state holidays and several three day weekends they have managed to travel all around Kazakhstan as well as regional countries. I hear complaints of course but social life is usually not one of them.

The winter is hard on most, especially in the north.

I second the comment about team-teaching, being able to work with your national teaching partner is a must.

Just about 100% of us can agree the kids are truly fantastic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: