Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

english time lamguage schools in Izmir?????HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciarak121

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: english time lamguage schools in Izmir?????HELP Reply with quote

I really want to work in Izmir and have been told by these that they will give me a job but having seeing the reviews i dont think its a good idea

are they really that bad??

Hope to hear from you soon

Ciara
Chaplin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are set on working in a language school rather than a high school, choices are few and far between. As far as I know there are only two well run schools in the city. The English Academy, and Address School of English.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is true, those two places,they are generally considered to be the best, which is not saying very much. Don't know many people who stay at these places more than a year or two, must be a good reason for that!
Ever considered working at a real school?
Chaplin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people who have worked at both schools and The English Academy has a very low staff turnover (probably due to a lack of alternatives). Address hires largely free lance teachers so I'm guessing their turnover rate is higher. There are some good private high schools in the city, too. �akabey and Gelişim are two of them that hire native speaker teachers but there are others. There are also private universities such as Yaşar and the Economics University, the latter being a better choice.

Depending on how much experience you have you should be careful that you choose a language school with a good teacher support structure. Many of the language schools here are just happy to give you a book and then tell you to get on with it. Also try to speak to teachers who have worked at the schools. Do they really organise your work visa and resident's permit. Do they pay on time etc.
Chaplin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just incase you missed it:

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=26001
fungus the bogeyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English Academy do pay on time and do organise work permits etc very efficiently (or they certainly used to when I worked there). The management are highly experienced and very supportive. This was my first job in TEfL a few years ago and I believe I couldn't have been luckier than to start at this place. I have no reason to suspect things have changed as the Manager/Owner and DOS have not changed since my day. Also was briefly at Address - lovely facilities, lovely people but as a previous poster mentioned, they tend to be more piecemeal when it comes to actual hours allocated. Good luck with the job hunt. Oh and by the way in my humble opinion Izmir is a great place to live!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: