Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the iphone in Thailand......and mass confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jennad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: the iphone in Thailand......and mass confusion Reply with quote

I've wanted an iPhone for years, and I finally have the money to buy one. Only, I'm moving to Bangkok in a month, so the dilemma is: buy one here in the States, figure out how to unlock it, and bring it with me, or buy one there and possibly not be able to use it a year later when I'm finished with my teaching contract.....(or would I be able to use it back in the States....?)

I have no idea how iPhones work over there, but if I bring one from home that is unlocked, can I just buy a sim card in Bangkok and I'll be good to go? Any idea how much a typical monthly iPhone bill in Thailand runs?

My friend showed me this site, but honestly I have clue if this is even what I'm looking for. Any advice from someone more technologically advanced than I am who is living in Thailand would be so helpful!
Jennad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and by "this site" I meant to paste the link....oops!

Here is the sim card site: http://www.truphone.com/en-US/
lundegatan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy an unlocked in the States then sign up for a service provider in Bangkok when you arrive, no big deal!
Jennad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lundegatan wrote:
Just buy an unlocked in the States then sign up for a service provider in Bangkok when you arrive, no big deal!

That sounds suspiciously easy haha. Any idea if the bills are about the same amount in Thailand? Everyone I talk to in the States pays about $90/month for basic charges and data when all is said and done.
Jennad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lundegatan wrote:

When you say service provider, do you mean the Thai equivalent of AT&T and Verizon? Do they lock you into a 1-2 year contract the way they do in the States? I've been researching it a bit more, and I guess if I come to Thailand with an unlocked iPhone, I can just buy a local SIM card and I'm good to go. But I have no idea how much data usage/minutes you get from a SIM card (I realize there are probably different kinds).

For an iPhone, do you have any idea how much money you'd spend on SIM cards or whatever each month for regular use of an iphone, i.e. using a lot of data?

I found some info on this site (http://iphone.mythailandblog.com/2010/08/tips-for-using-an-iphone-in-thailand/), but it's outdated and still doesn't give examples of average monthly prices for using an iPhone in Bangkok.

Not to mention, buying a legit unlocked iPhone from Apple will cost about $600-800. If I buy a locked one, then I'm obligated to sign up for some lengthy contract, which is pointless since I won't be in the U.S. Sad
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait till you get here.

iPhones are common, unlocked and there are some pretty decent knock-offs as well. Apple prices run from $300-700 depending on model.
http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/catalog/Apple.asp

with knock offs starting at about $100.
http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/catalog/i-mobile.asp
http://www.mxnecmobile.com/black.html

Buy the phone of your choice.

Buy a SIM for the network(s) of your choice (many smart phones (as well as other cell phones) are dual SIM). The SIM card is your phone number. I think I paid about $10-12 for my SIM and you can change them at will.

Get a data plan to suit you or just pay-as-you-go.

I average about US$30/month (pre-paid) for calls and data but I often use wifi rather than the data plan from the phone service provider.

orozcom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Iphone in BKK Reply with quote

You can def bring an Iphone from home. I lived in a small town last year in Issan providence in Thailand and was able to get my Iphone from home unlocked in my town. In Bangkok every mall has 3 floors specifically for electronics and phones. I think it was like 300baht or less to get my phone unlocked. I did not use a data plan and just got a free sim card at the airport. A lot of companies give out free sim cards but they are really cheap if you buy one. I just did a pay as you go for my phone. But I would just buy a phone from home and unlock it at home or when you get to Bkk. Good luck im in the same boat i'm buying an Iphone from home and bringing it with me to BKK.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know much about IPhones in Thailand but I do know this...

Quote:
In Bangkok every mall has 3 floors specifically for electronics and phones.

Come on now. There are a couple of centers in Bangkok that focus on electronics and phones and such (MBK, Pantip Plaza, Fortune Town, Tawanna, the place across from the Mall Bangkapi (dont remember name), etc.) but to say that EVERY mall in Bangkok has THREE FLOORS specifically for phones and electronics just aint true.

I understand that it may have been meant as an exaggeration, but those that know nothing about Thailand may not get that.
orozcom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Iphone in BKK Reply with quote

I def was exaggerating regarding every mall having three floors. But it's not exaggerating saying that you can go almost any where. I mean any where to get your phone unlocked in BKK. I lived in a small town and there were people at our night market unlocking and selling phones. I don't think that it will be to difficult to find some where in BKK to unlock her phone. Either way best of luck I will be moving to BKK and have a lot to learn.
Nuolan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on buying an unlocked device, then buy it in the U.S. I believe the iPhone is slightly more expensive here than in the states. Unlimited data packages start at 399 baht from DTAC and up to 999 baht or so. A prepaid micro netsim can be had for around 2-3 bucks.

I personally recommend Truemove H if you want the most consistent and fast 3G data connectivity through out Thailand.

Lastly, the iPhone 5 should be out in the next few months. Consider waiting or getting a temporary device.
Jennad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Iphone in BKK Reply with quote

orozcom wrote:
You can def bring an Iphone from home. I lived in a small town last year in Issan providence in Thailand and was able to get my Iphone from home unlocked in my town. In Bangkok every mall has 3 floors specifically for electronics and phones. I think it was like 300baht or less to get my phone unlocked. I did not use a data plan and just got a free sim card at the airport. A lot of companies give out free sim cards but they are really cheap if you buy one. I just did a pay as you go for my phone. But I would just buy a phone from home and unlock it at home or when you get to Bkk. Good luck im in the same boat i'm buying an Iphone from home and bringing it with me to BKK.

So you don't think it's sketchy to buy a locked iPhone 4S from the States and wholly rely on someone in Bangkok being able to unlock it for me without messing it up? I mean, if unlocking iPhone 4S models is really common there, then I'll go ahead and just buy a locked one on Ebay or Amazon. I just would hate to buy one and then have someone mess it up when trying to unlock it....
Jennad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Just wait till you get here.

iPhones are common, unlocked and there are some pretty decent knock-offs as well. Apple prices run from $300-700 depending on model.
http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/catalog/Apple.asp

with knock offs starting at about $100.
http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/catalog/i-mobile.asp
http://www.mxnecmobile.com/black.html

Buy the phone of your choice.

Buy a SIM for the network(s) of your choice (many smart phones (as well as other cell phones) are dual SIM). The SIM card is your phone number. I think I paid about $10-12 for my SIM and you can change them at will.

Get a data plan to suit you or just pay-as-you-go.

I average about US$30/month (pre-paid) for calls and data but I often use wifi rather than the data plan from the phone service provider.

Thanks for the info. I'm kind of leaning towards buying one on Amazon or Ebay and then bringing it with me because it's so much cheaper than buying an unlocked one through Apple, both in the States and in Thailand.

I don't really want an Apple knockoff in Thailand because it seems like they just wouldn't be as good as the real thing, but I could be wrong.
Jennad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuolan wrote:
If you plan on buying an unlocked device, then buy it in the U.S. I believe the iPhone is slightly more expensive here than in the states. Unlimited data packages start at 399 baht from DTAC and up to 999 baht or so. A prepaid micro netsim can be had for around 2-3 bucks.

I personally recommend Truemove H if you want the most consistent and fast 3G data connectivity through out Thailand.

Lastly, the iPhone 5 should be out in the next few months. Consider waiting or getting a temporary device.

What specifically is a 'prepaid micro netsim?'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: