Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From other boards, what do you never get used to here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snollygoster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Lighten up Reply with quote

Well said sarg.
In Hanoi-lighten up- smell the roses.
Maybe you are suggesting I am involved in a less than happy marriage with a local- Far from the truth. I am very HAPPILY involved-with child-the whole Monty.
I am very close with the locals-indeed I have stayed in tribal long houses, lived with Hmong in the north-west, as well as lived the city life. I play both types of guitar- country AND western, Can play several traditional instruments, speak Tieng Viet. Namky AND Backy. And I can cook most Viet dishes so you wouldnt know it was cooked by a "tay".
Therefore my depth of understanding of the locals is stronger than most of the ex-pats here. Doesnt change the fact they pick their noses, go to Dalat for holidays, drive like maniacs etc- BUT for depth of family connectedness and GENUINE real concern for their fellow man- well lets just say I'm more comfortable with locals than I am with plastic ex-pats trying their best to defend the poor locals.
The Mad Hatter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lighten up Reply with quote

snollygoster wrote:
Well said sarg.
In Hanoi-lighten up- smell the roses.
Maybe you are suggesting I am involved in a less than happy marriage with a local- Far from the truth. I am very HAPPILY involved-with child-the whole Monty.
I am very close with the locals-indeed I have stayed in tribal long houses, lived with Hmong in the north-west, as well as lived the city life. I play both types of guitar- country AND western, Can play several traditional instruments, speak Tieng Viet. Namky AND Backy. And I can cook most Viet dishes so you wouldnt know it was cooked by a "tay".
Therefore my depth of understanding of the locals is stronger than most of the ex-pats here. Doesnt change the fact they pick their noses, go to Dalat for holidays, drive like maniacs etc- BUT for depth of family connectedness and GENUINE real concern for their fellow man- well lets just say I'm more comfortable with locals than I am with plastic ex-pats trying their best to defend the poor locals.

You're the boss Snolly....... definAtely....... a legend!

Tell it like it is!
inhanoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, snolly, the thing that never ceases to amaze you about Vietnam is..... You!

That's not intended as a personal slam, just another confirmation of my point, that some ex-pats think the world of themselves, often as a result of being fawned over by too-polite or curious Vietnamese, and this ego-enlargement then leads to condescension and feelings of superiority. I think it's quite hilarious to watch.
snollygoster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Agree Reply with quote

Of course I agree with you In Hanoi. Vietnam brings about changes in individuals. I also watch the condascending "tay" who is usually unable to laugh at him/herself developing a plastic sense of superiority, but I try not to do likewise, whilst still enjoyinmg the funny things that Viets do that seem out of place to the "tay".
DefInately-Mad Man. Rolling Eyes WEIRD-Yes?
travelinhobo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: My 2 cents worth Reply with quote

I find the answers to these posts rather... disheartening. So much negativity from individuals who have a choice (which is 100% of the population) about a country they originally chose to come to! I'm quite grateful, after reading these responses (as well as those of other posts) that I had a wonderful 3 months in Viet Nam BEFORE reading these responses! My experiences (working and living) certainly don't add up to what I'm reading here. I think for the visiting reader who wants to get info about Viet Nam and make some life decisions (for whatever reason that may be), this forum only disenchants them. This is supposed to be a forum about ESL living and instead there are always countless negative comments about the locals which have nothing to do with their ESL learning. If people want to know about other aspects, they can always go to the expat forums.

And just to add, the Mexicans pick their noses too. But ALL of you males love doing the male-mating call which does NOT endear any of us females to you.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lighten up Reply with quote

snollygoster wrote:
......well lets just say I'm more comfortable with locals than I am with plastic ex-pats trying their best to defend the poor locals.

Laughing

Well put, Snolly....
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents worth Reply with quote

I was in a 100% agreement with you travelinhobo until I read this:

travelinhobo wrote:
This is supposed to be a forum about ESL living and instead there are always countless negative comments about the locals which have nothing to do with their ESL learning. If people want to know about other aspects, they can always go to the expat forums.

If this forum was just about the most effective way to teach the present perfect etc then, speaking for myself, I wouldn't bother posting here and I certainly wouldn't read it (unless the board happened to come up in a Google search whilst I was looking for the most effective way to teach the present perfect etc) Wink. There are plenty of useful websites that give tips for EFL teaching, but precious few (especially for Saigon) where expats get to chat about their lifestyles here. Dave's is one of those precious few.

Last edited by 1st Sgt Welsh on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
inhanoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, the forum isn't just strictly about teaching, it's about immersion, survival, the whole milieu.

However, hobo makes a really valid point: there is a significant minority of regulars here who take every opportunity to denigrate the country and the people, then take exception when someone replies in a more positive vein, or dares to question the validity of their sweeping generalizations. They always assume they've been here longer or have more in-depth knowledge, the wisdom of which cannot be questioned. It gets tiresome.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, as Hatcher requested, keep it on the lighter side.....

I SWEAR I STILL CANNOT EVER get used to the entire concept of a person riding around the neighbourhood on a bicycle, coming up to your house and presenting you with the (electric/water/Internet/whatever) bill, then collecting the cash from you, then stamping a receipt and handing it to you!

NOT AT ALL a bad way of doing things.....

....just....so....so....so....DIFFERENT!

(I really think that if I return to a T�y nation, I'll probably look at a bill that has actually been mailed to me as though it were something that had been dropped from a flying saucer)!
inhanoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's more in the spirit of the original post. And so true, it drives me batty trying to get the internet bill paid before they cut it off.
8balldeluxe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People riding bicycles sitting far back over the rear wheel on the book rack, for no apparent reason, against all laws of physics and human ergonomics.
voltaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inhanoi wrote:
What never ceases to amaze me about living in Vietnam is seeing the sad and sorry ex-pats who for a variety of reasons have decided to deal with their own unhappiness and lack of fulfillment by channeling it into resentment of the local people and environment. The worst are the ones who have found themselves in unfulfilling local marriages.

Does living in other countries cause these levels of cynicism, acrimony, jealousy and resentment, or is it only living in Vietnam that does this?

The answer to your question is, yes! Unhappy, unfulfilled expats are the rule everywhere. And I should mention the many unhappy, unfulfilled local people everywhere. Most men lead lives of quiet desperation as Thoreau said.

I read what you guys say on the Vietnam board, and the Chinese and Korean boards and it's just the same as Japan and Indonesia, where I have mostly lived.

I remember a cranky old ESL teacher who came to live in Jakarta because he hated Korea and was unhappy there. Guess what? He soon despised Indonesia as well.

Responding to some other posters on this thread: I think you know without my telling you that the people of every nation think their country is the greatest country on Earth. Why, think of some American Indian tribes, and doubtless African and Australian tribes, whose name literally means 'the human beings' or perhaps 'the true people'.

The only exception I have ever personally come across is the Filipinos. I said what I had just said above one to a Filipino and she just laughed, shrugged it off and said, "Every one knows they are countries better than the Philippines!"

Well, good for her! Good for them! Frankly I tend to agree. I have been there, and met more than a few Filipino expats elsewhere and that woman definitely had a point, but perhaps the Philippines is the greatest country on Earth just because they are the only people who don't think they are!

It's like the race for the Japanese premiership: the frontrunner always has to adamantly claim not to be interested in the office and finally grudgingly accepts it.
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents worth Reply with quote

travelinhobo wrote:
I find the answers to these posts rather... disheartening. So much negativity from individuals who have a choice (which is 100% of the population) about a country they originally chose to come to! I'm quite grateful, after reading these responses (as well as those of other posts) that I had a wonderful 3 months in Viet Nam BEFORE reading these responses! My experiences (working and living) certainly don't add up to what I'm reading here. I think for the visiting reader who wants to get info about Viet Nam and make some life decisions (for whatever reason that may be), this forum only disenchants them. This is supposed to be a forum about ESL living and instead there are always countless negative comments about the locals which have nothing to do with their ESL learning. If people want to know about other aspects, they can always go to the expat forums.

And just to add, the Mexicans pick their noses too. But ALL of you males love doing the male-mating call which does NOT endear any of us females to you.

Really? I find the answers to this post rather......realistic! Maybe you should lighten up a little.

Can't quite get used to....

a) nose picking
b) public urinating
c) paying different amounts of money at the same restaurant for the same meal
d) Guys holding a sheet of glass on the back of a motorbike
e) snot nosed expat 20-somethings thinking they know all about Vietnamese culture in 3 months and hate going to the old quarter cos "it's full of tourists".
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is supposed to be a forum about ESL living and instead there are always countless negative comments about the locals which have nothing to do with their ESL learning. If people want to know about other aspects, they can always go to the expat forums.

You are telling us the forum is supposed to be about ESL living, not sure I see the connection to the comment about mating calls.

Great that you can speak for all females. I wonder if we can find one equally impressive man who can speak for all men. We then should have the answers to just about everything.

Thanks for sharing your insight with us.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nose picking is something I wont ever quite get used to. I cringe every time I see it. But I do admit, it comes in quite handy sometimes. Just driving down the street with my finger in my nose is quite freeing at times. Laughing

The traffic is also something I doubt I'll get used to. Every time I go out I see something new that makes me shake my head. Basically, you have to always be watching for someone to do something you wouldn't think any sane person would do.

I've also gotten tired of how judgmental the typical Vietnamese person can be towards other Vietnamese. They seem to excuse any faults in a "tay" because he doesn't know any better. But if they see a Vietnamese girl with a tay, she often gets rude comments. If you dress a certain way, you're inappropriate. You can't say or do certain things or you're not "traditional" enough. I feel bad for the flak some of my Vietnamese friends get just for hanging out with me.

Last edited by ExpatLuke on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: