Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oxford Vision Recruiting / Melikşah University

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomatis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Oxford Vision Recruiting / Melikşah University Reply with quote

Does anyone have anything to tell me - good, bad or indifferent - about the Oxford Vision recruiting agency? They are currently looking for people for Turkish universities. Speaking of which, does anyone have any experience of working at this university

http://www.meliksah.edu.tr/?&language=EN
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Oxford Vision recruiting agency, but just one look at the Meliksah University website says it all !

It is a private university set up by a bunch of businessmen/industrialists in Kayseri in 2008. That means the students would be rich kids who have failed the Turkish University Entrance Exam.....not the brightest.
The English on the website is grammatically dreadful. This does not bode well.
billy orr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right, Dedo, that the quality of English on the website is often a good barometer of how serious an institution is. I would not be quite as pessimistic as you about the place, after all, Kayseri is the home town of the president and the uni may enjoy some patronage from that direction.
Tomatis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads, more or less what I had thought wrt the Uni . Anyone with first hand experience of the agency?
deessell2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The agency recruits for Gulen Movement schools. If you had done a search, you would have seen this written previously.
Tomatis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind about their ideological orientation, I was more interested in their reliability/professionalism. Any info on that would be gratefully received.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford Vision in Turkey is an excellent company to work for...they provide EFL teachers with excellent prospective employment at universities with decent benefits at colleges and language schools. I would say from experience their reputation is excellent and they are a dependable recruiter. Good luck in your job search in Turkey! Smile
The Steakinator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've given me some offers that sound really high for Turkey: $1,800-$2,400 US with accommodations. In the interview, the guy was really nice, very matter of fact (I didn't get a b.s. vibe from him at all like you do with some recruiters), answered my questions without hesitation, etc. But as for the salary, how do these compare to Turkish unis in general?
Tomatis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oxford vision guy is indeed very pleasant to talk to. Just make sure that the university or whatever is actually offering what OV says it is, indeed that that the uni or whatever is actually itself sure what it's offering.
dutchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meliksah is a mediocre to decent place to work, depending largely on how well you can get along with your co-workers and the city itself. There are some problems, like the lack of motivation of some students. But all in all, I found Meliksah to be a dependable employer. I taught there for a year, and the salary was always paid on time. A BA holder with a TEFL cert. can expect to earn about 20k. There is also a furnished accommodation provided. About one third of the instructors are 'yabanci'. The university pays for the work permits, and deals with the paperwork. Feel free to PM me for any question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: