Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best answer to an interview question....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ihatewinter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Best answer to an interview question.... Reply with quote

Hi everyone - my first post on this board, even though I've been skulking around for months. Here we go...

How would YOU answer this: Why do you want to live in Yemen?

My background: single white 51 year old Canadian female with new TESL certificate about to take my first 'adventure...'

Thoughts?
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ihatewinter,

Because you have a very strong death wish?

OK, assuming you're not talking about going to live there until or unless the current "discord" ends, there are the loveliness of the country, the hospitality, cordiality and good humor of the people (the ones not trying to kill you, that is - although one of our US drones might do that, too), the weather and the fact that it's "exotic."

rt present, I fear a list of Why one doesn't want to live/die in Yemen would be much longer.

Regards,
John
ihatewinter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? That bad??? I was hoping the news reports were exagerating things.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ihatewinter,

I know a guy who left Yemen just a little while back. He hung in there for as long as he could - he really loves the country and the people - but it finally became too hazardous for him.

Well, it'd be an "adventure", and you could get lucky and never have any problems. But I would advise any of my friends to at least hold off.

Regards,
John
Four

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Best answer to an interview question.... Reply with quote

ihatewinter wrote:
Hi everyone - my first post on this board, even though I've been skulking around for months. Here we go...

How would YOU answer this: Why do you want to live in Yemen?

My background: single white 51 year old Canadian female with new TESL certificate about to take my first 'adventure...'

Thoughts?

The naivety and desperation is breathtaking.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms ihatewinter,

Right now there are few places in the Middle East for someone with a new TEFL cert and no experience. Yemen is NOT the place to go right now. Normally I would suggest Egypt, but it is problematic there right now too. About the only place in the 'Middle East' that I would recommend would be Morocco. Yes... it is North Africa... but a similar culture to the ME.

Full time work is difficult to find there with your limited credentials. So, if you can stake yourself for a few months, you could just go and try to pick up work at places like AMIDEAST, American Language Center, British Council... and eventually supplement your income with private lessons. (and if you speak French, it would be very helpful as it is the 2nd language there)

Other than I would recommend heading to Asia to get 2-3 years of experience - teaching adults - preferably Academic English... and then you could apply for jobs in Oman.

VS
Four

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC will not touch her without a CELTA and pound for a penny her piece of paper is a worthless con. Try China Embarassed
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best answer to an interview question.... Reply with quote

ihatewinter wrote:

You didn't mention a university degree. Do you have a BA? An MA? Also, was your TESL cert obtained via online or onsite training?
Four

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Best answer to an interview question.... Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
ihatewinter wrote:

You didn't mention a university degree. Do you have a BA? An MA? Also, was your TESL cert obtained via online or onsite training?

I think we can guess the answer to those. Razz
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best answer to an interview question.... Reply with quote

Four wrote:
I think we can guess the answer to those. Razz

In the last couple days you have been nasty on nearly every post in the ME section. We can tell people that are new that their expectations may be unrealistic without being rude. Your attacks are uncalled for...

VS
Four

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, OP, your expectations are extremely unrealistic.
ihatewinter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 degrees, including a Masters and a B.Ed. CELTA completion at the end of August.
And WTF is wrong with being burned out in my first career in mid-life, looking for a new career and hoping to avoid winter?
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ihatewiner,

I hate winters, too Very Happy. Why not try Oman?

Regards,
John

Last edited by johnslat on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Four

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA completed, are you predicting the future? tsk tsk
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatewinter wrote:
3 degrees, including a Masters and a B.Ed. CELTA completion at the end of August.
And WTF is wrong with being burned out in my first career in mid-life, looking for a new career and hoping to avoid winter?

Nothing at all wrong with it and it appears that Mr Four has personality issues. Please do ignore him. Rolling Eyes

OK... so you've got some pieces of paper and the CELTA will give some good practical training. Do you have some teaching experience - though not EFL/ESL?

As JohnSlat suggests and as I did further up, Oman is a good option if you've got some kind of teaching experience to put on the CV.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: