Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

allowances
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the required certification/license to teach K-12 in your home country? If you don't, can you get it? (it is invaluable if you want to get into the top International schools)

This would be separate from your TESOL cert. They don't recognize all TESOL certs in the Gulf. No online or quickie certs... they accept the ones that provide supervised classroom teaching with real students.

What kind of classes were you teaching in Asia?

VS
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my Bachelor of Education degree allows me to be a certified teacher in my home country. I taught ESL at private institutes in Asia.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugebritneyfan wrote:
Yes, my Bachelor of Education degree allows me to be a certified teacher in my home country. I taught ESL at private institutes in Asia.

But do you possess a current teaching license? Also, what types of ESL classes or content did you teach? Conversation classes? Academic writing? TOEFL prep? ESP? General English (i.e., speaking, listening, reading & writing)?
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teaching license is curently being issued, I'll have it before the start of the school year. I taught general English including comprehension in addition to reading, speaking, writing and listening.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugebritneyfan:

What's your interest in working/living (and struggling financially) in the expensive UAE? Why not stay where you are or go elsewhere to gain better TEFL experience and/or pursue a masters degree?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it depends on what level HBF wants to teach. The MA is certainly needed if the goal is to teach at university level.

If K-12 is the goal, then certification (on the way) and experience is the key. I agree with Nomad that the Gulf is not the place to get that experience as the pay is too low for entry level. It is VERY expensive and is not the place that I would choose if I were under 30.

If you are still considering this 8500 Dh a month offer, it'd better also provide on top of that - free furnished housing, tickets, visa fees, medical, and a gratuity. You didn't make this clear.

If 8500 Dh is your total offer... run!!

VS
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching K-12 is definitely the goal and I would never accept an offer without the benefits of housing, tickets, etc. with that salary range. I won't go for the 8,500 but I'm willing to accept the 9,000-10,000 range.

Are bills, groceries, etc. really that expensive that one would struggle under an entry level's salary.

I had heard pay in Dubai and Abu Dhabi was very good and the Middle East is an area I have yet to travel around. I was in Dubai about 2 years for a vacation and really enjoyed it.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugebritneyfan wrote:
I had heard pay in Dubai and Abu Dhabi was very good and the Middle East is an area I have yet to travel around. I was in Dubai about 2 years for a vacation and really enjoyed it.

Yes, that is what everyone hears, which is why we have so many posters who think that they can earn a lot of money with nothing much to offer the employers in return. It is a wealthy part of the world and they can afford to be demanding... expecting people to have stellar credentials in order to deserve the stellar pay. That means all of the academic bits of paper and a few years of closely related experience.

Living in a country is much different from being a tourist. Hitting the high spots, bars and beaches is quite different from spending hours in the 40+ heat and humidity waiting for a taxi... and that is the weather from April through October. It is quite different living in marginal housing... perhaps having to share with 3 or 4 other strangers... and roaches... or neighbors with a half dozen screaming kids who are up all night playing football in the hallway using your door as the goal.

That low pay will cover your basic bills, but it will exclude nearly all of the things that you found fun as a tourist.

VS
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you consider a salary of 10,000 Dhs to be low as well for a general English teaching position? Provided that includes accomodation, health, etc.
bin There

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10,000 is low when you think that teachers at ZU, HCT, UAEU, etc can start on upwards of 18,000 for general english. It is possible to save at least 5,000 of this though as long as you are very careful with your money and don't follow the higher-end expat lifestyle of friday brunches, starbucks, luxury hotel stays. There are many Indian restaurants where you can eat as much as you want for lunch for under 10 AED, a KFC snack box is 11 AED, a falafel of schwarma sandwich half that price. Elec/Water bills for a single person around 250 AED, Internet 350 AED. Pick up used furniture from those leaving - usually very cheap. If you live downtown, I wouldn't get a car - even though the weather is amazingly hot in the summer, I still waited for taxis and wasn't in the UAE for the hottest 2 months. Try it for a year or two, get experience and then move up the ladder.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HBF-

The cost of groceries and entertaining are almost the same as the US/UK.

You can get buy on less and find some "deals" if you do the local/pakistani/indian diet/lifestyle, but in general you will find the cost of the basics the same as in your home country.

The gulf does pay better than anywhere else... if you have the degree AND experience. The problem is that you don't have the experience.

You can get a job in China paying about 15 to 20K US a year, but the cost of living there is 1/4 to 1/10th (depending on which city you live in) to what it is in the US/UK. And you can get those jobs w/out the experience.

You can get a job in Japan paying about 25-35K US, but the cost of living is MORE than in the US

As for comparing the offers you are getting with HCT/ZU and the rest... that is apples to oranges. Those jobs have the degree AND experience.

If you are a certified teacher and you have the MA, you can get about 12 to 18K AED per month, housing, airfare and medical insurance at the good international schools. The problem is that most of those have ALREADY HIRED for the fall and now are just looking for last minute hires.

Most of the intermediate secondary schools will pay in the range of 6 to 10 (some will give housing/airfare etc, some won't).

You need the EXPERIENCE to get the jobs that pay more.

Go to china, korea, thailand etc...and get the experience the same way MOST of us did. Then after 5 years, come on back and get the big payday you seem to want.
Tom Le Seelleur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Don't listen to the sceptics about not being able to survive here in the UAE on the projected salary, it is enough if you are careful and I assume you are single. Many of those writing comments work in the tetiary sector which is a world away from K-12 yet this sector can be more enjoyable depending on where you work. Take the job, sharing is fine there are plenty of places (VS is always doom and gloom) where you can find other teachers in the same position and you can survive on food at about 1500 dhs per month. Get a year or two experience and get a Diploma behind you (as you have a Teachers Cert) and then you could get to a decent international school that pay well with better benefits. You don't need an MA to work in the UAE in schools.
Tom
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Le Seelleur wrote:
Take the job, sharing is fine there are plenty of places (VS is always doom and gloom) where you can find other teachers in the same position and you can survive on food at about 1500 dhs per month. Get a year or two experience and get a Diploma behind you (as you have a Teachers Cert) and then you could get to a decent international school that pay well with better benefits. You don't need an MA to work in the UAE in schools.
Tom
But wait... so you think we shouldn't inform them of the reality of life in the UAE at these low pay positions? Shouldn't we warn them that so many of these low-pay employers are abusive?

You are basically telling her the same thing that the rest of us are. That she needs more experience... her home country teacher's cert/license... and that right now if she takes a job, she will live at bottom of the ME teacher's food chain.

If one is merely looking for "survival," one can take anything. But if one is expecting to not only eat, but have sat TV, high speed home internet, an iPhone, and party at the hotels on the weekends as one did as a tourist, one could be disappointed.

That is not "doom and gloom," that is making sure that people don't take jobs with completely unrealistic expectations.

VS
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HBF is after the k-12 international school market. It is a pretty nice market actually. You get to be a content teacher, have about the same working schedule as the teritary and get nearly the same pay (at least in the UAE).

It is a very competitive market, and most of the schools have already hired for the fall. What you find now is the bottom of the barrel, or the last minute hires.

Now is 8500 plus housing, plus airfare and the rest a BAD deal? not really. IF housing is included, and you get yearly airfare it isn't bad. It isn't great.

Can you come to the UAE and survive on that amount? Yes you can. But if you are wanting to come here because it is the UAE/Saudi are giant ATM's.... then it isn't correct. Go to China, Japan, Korea, South east Asia and get the experience there.... lower cost of living, a lot more culture, etc... If you want to have the ME experience, then by all means come here and be at the bottom of the barrel to get that experience.
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS: As a tourist, I go to explore, experience the culture, NOT have an iPhone and party at the hotels on the weekends. That is NOT what I do as a tourist, EVER, and that is not how I would live my life in Dubai.

Eisenhorn: You are absolutely correct. You know what I'm after and the situation I'm in. I am declining the 8,500 offer though and looking to 10,000 instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: