Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best answer to an interview question....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to get as close to the Straits of Hormuz as you can. That way you will be first to go in the coming World War.

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Scot... you are just a ray of sunshine in my day. Cool

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"we'll all go together when we go
Every Hottentot and every Eskimo....."
sliim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatewinter:

I have to echo what some have already said. Yemen is a no-go right now. Things were barely ok when I lived there before the "Arab Spring" became a catch phrase.

What do I mean by barely ok? I mean that there were already protests going on and people being shot. Houses being demolished. A pipeline near the refinery where I was teaching was blown up. I nearly went to prison because of some madman's scheming (and with no justice system to speak of, if you are on the bad side of the wrong person with the right connections, things can be difficult). An armory 500 m behind a school where I was teaching also exploded--bullets and grenades going off everywhere. There was a civil war already in the North between the Houthis and the government. And more.

This was peacetime, not too long after Ali Abdullah Al Saleh was re-elected.

Things then were on the knife's edge of being in control and out of control. Now they are out of control. Yemen is a sectarian and tribal country; the delicate balance that the government maintained--a mix of playing with foreign interests, tribal loyalties, and mountains of bribe money, no longer exists.

Add the fact that many of the "language institutes" are rip off organisations run by sick-minded managerial staff who underpay, are paranoid, and seem to generally get perverse pleasure from making the lives of their employees needlessly difficult, and Yemen is easy to scratch from one's list.

Now, of course, it is not all bad. The weather can be really nice, the architecture is out of this world, and, as anywhere, you will find a lot of good people. The best and most memorable students I ever had were from when I taught in Yemen.

So there is good, but the bad is really bad.

If you are still considering working there though, you are free to pm me should you wish for the low-down on specific employers. But I think that there are better options for someone like you.

You are educated, mature, and seem to be looking for a positive change. There are a lot of peaceful places that can satisfy that. Do you insist on the ME? Asia, Central and South America can also be interesting options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: