Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QATAR AERONAUTICAL COLLEGE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of ex-Gulagers are still working at the AC and have no complaints apart from salary. And yes, I've heard that the new head of English is a very decent type - very supportive and is trying to improve conditions for the teachers. I don't know this guy but I was told he's really on the ball, knows what he is doing and takes an interest in his staff's well-being!! If only other department heads could be like this. We all need decent hard-working bosses who care about their staff.
blastermill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a substantial pay increase to 15,000 +. However, the main problem is housing. There are issues with assigning decent accomodation to people so make sure you get this straightened out first. I used to work here so I know.
billings

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: QAC Reply with quote

Avoid QAC at all costs!!! Lied to me at the interview - was interviewed for one position then they wanted me to do a completely different position when I arrived! Next was - new position therefore different salary!!! (obviously much lower) result from their perspective was "You don't like it you can leave and pay your own ticket home."
And if you find Mal at any position in the world - avoid!
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard from several people that QAC is generally a very decent place to work. The main complaints are problems over appropriate housing, which the ministry of housing is in charge of.
blastermill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Housing is a major issue. Some of the teachers are still being housed in pre-fab buildings (very hot in summer) on the campus. The administration is very slow about resolving this problem and teachers are quitting because they have not been assigned acceptable accommodation. It seems that nobody is concerned enough to support the teachers in getting housing. That aside, it's a nice place to work.
MMK1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, when's the housing going to be sorted out.....thinking of applying
also in saudi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will probably take a long time. Management is not very swift. Be forewarned.
MMK1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not good....accommodation is/should be a priority.....will look elsewhere then.........thanks
TT-Kira

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know the latest?

Is Qatar looking for experienced AvEng instructors on long/short term basis?

Any insight good or bad appreciated!

Thanks
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At QAC, teaching aviation English, from having talked to people who work there, you would be on about 15,000 QAR, which is pretty decent for a regular instructor.
TT-Kira

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, PM'd you!
blastermill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15,000 is about right. However, without acceptable accomodation, this job is not worth taking up. If you do take up the offer, insist on staying in an apartment hotel until they provide you with a furnished apt or give you an acceptable apt with a furniture allowance (30,000 last I heard).

Good luck. I had a great time working at the AC but in those days the salary was only about 10 thousand and housing was also an issue. The people are very nice to work with and work for but some of the people at the top have scratchy personalities. Not the expat directors though.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we take a step back and look at the slightly bigger picture?

The New Doha International Airport is due to open shortly not far from
the QAC...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Doha_International_Airport
and it will be one of the largest in the world....
"The check-in and retail areas are expected to be 12 times larger than at the current airport, making the NDIA two-thirds the size of Doha."...

Furthermore, Qatar Airways, probably the QAC�s most important client,
and voted "Best Airline in the World" for the second time
recently at the Farnborough Airshow,
has orders in for $50 billion worth of new aircraft...

Is the QAC capable of responding satisfactorily to this massive growth?
Have the exchanges running with Purdue University for over 10 years resulted in any meaningful outcomes yet?
Has the pilot training been transferred to Al Khor yet?

Geronimo
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my worst jobs. Awful accommodation and totally messed up teaching. More supervisors than teachers. Meaningless paperwork. With others I was contracted out to QP. I made the mistake of revealing that I can speak Arabic. Bingo ! I got the job of teaching employees with Zero English !

I left after 2 weeks and wnet back to KSA. I preferred to take the risks of Saudi rather than the horrors of Qatar !
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An individual who desires to remain anonymous has asked me to post this message.

While I cannot, of course, personally vouch for the message's accuracy, I can vouch for the honesty and trustworthiness of the individual.

"There have been reports that the accommodation problem at QAC has reached crisis point. This problem is said to be affecting all departments of the college. The new policy from the Ministry of Housing (MOH) appears to be that all new single-status teachers at QAC are either expected to share apartments, either with QAC co-workers or with complete strangers from other organisations, or go into single accommodation which is of breathtakingly-low quality (comparisons have been made to 3rd-world standards). This means that the single college teachers, many of whom have postgraduate qualifications and considerable teaching experience, are being expected to live like TEFL backpackers. Married-status teachers do not appear to be treated much better, with several of them, and their spouses, having to share temporary apartments/villas with other staff members.

Most of the teachers appear to be deeply unhappy with (or more often completely outraged by) the insulting offers of sub-standard permanent accommodation from the MOH, and are instead choosing to stay in their initial �temporary� QAC accommodation, meaning a vast percentage of QAC staff from across all departments are living in limbo.

Another problem is caused by the fact that, if teachers make the (virtually forced) decision to search for their own accommodation, the MOH has deemed the �acceptable� housing allowance to be 2500 and 4000 QAR for single and married teachers respectively. There are serious grumblings about how the MOH can consider this a sufficient amount to rent half-decent accommodation anywhere within Qatar. Anyone who lives in Qatar knows that these amounts of money are simply not enough. One wonders how many Qatari workers at the MOH would be prepared to live in the shockingly sub-standard apartments they are offering to QAC staff, or live in accommodation costing 2500 QAR (the answer is of course zero).

Unless the accommodation situation at QAC is settled effectively, it is likely there will be quite a few teachers resigning in the foreseeable future. Also, in terms of recruitment, it appears it is going to be very hard for the college to find well-qualified and professional staff that will be prepared to accept the awful accommodation options provided by the MOH."

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: