Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Izmir Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabrda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Izmir Questions Reply with quote

I've been doing some research on moving to Izmir for a while, but all the info I find has been scattered around dozens of different posts and forums, and a lot of it is either vague/confusing, dated, or simply contradictory. After lurking on this site for years I've decided to finally make a post to try and get to the bottom of things.

I'm moving to Izmir in early August, but I'm becoming increasingly nervous about that decision because:

1. There doesn't seem to be anywhere cheap to stay (no hostels, the cheapest hotels are still pricey). I mean somewhere to stay for a week or two until i determine if I can find a job, or a place to live, or if I even want to stay in Izmir.

2. No one has been able to recommend a good resource for finding a longer term place to live, a flatshare or room-renting website. I haven't found any in my research.

3. There seems to be almost no expat community there, no expat sites (well, a few very sparsely attended or almost abandoned ones) or groups I could find... I'm worried about whether I'll be able to find and make friends with other expats and establish a healthy social life.

Any help? Smile
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izmir is a tourist mecca in Turkey...there are thousands of expats around....and yes it's very expensiv especially in summer. If you looking to teach English there make sure you bring a lot of money cause you'll need it. Good luck! Smile
gursky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izmir is not a very expensive city, not the cheapest one in Turkey either. In summer it doesn't get more expensive, it's Cesme and all those stupid beach clubs etc. where people spend all their money. Of course in summer you go out more and there are more things to tempt you but the price of food, rent etc don't increase just because it's summer. Surely you need to bring some cash when you move somewhere new. Eagle Eyes how much money are you talking about?

There are a lot expats in Izmir, just give yourself sometime to find them. Izmir can be expensive if you hang out in Alsancak area all the time and drink a lot, or eat in restaurants too often. this is the case in any city anyway.
If you could give a bit more detail about your hobbies, the kind of place you would like to live etc. people here might be able to help more.
I recommend looking at flats not only in the very central part of town but other places too. In Turkey cities are busy, noisy and especially in winter the air quality is not great.
There are so many things to do around Izmir depending your interests and hobbies. good luck with your move.
ossie39

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jabrda. Izmir is average costing as cities go as gursky states. If you spend your time eating and drinking in Alsancak, Konak and Passaport your money will soon go. They are great for treats. You need to look at Buca and university areas (and there are enough of them) for individual or shared apartments of a cheaper price. I think once you have decided you wish to stay you might post adverts on university boards if you wish to share.

You should look for pansions which are a little cheaper than hotels. There is a cheaper one in Alsancak. There is Cankaya but avoid some that are too near the train station of Basmane. Some are not safe. Go to the Echo bar and expats may be there and in some restaurants, you'll have fun finding them out. Please try to meet Turks and other nationalities for friends too. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: