Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally ready...when should I apply and what can I hope for?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smedini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Finally ready...when should I apply and what can I hope for? Reply with quote

Hey all...

So after all the years of waiting I am *finally* ready to head to the Emirates. I am hoping to find a position for September 2013, and I'm wondering when I should apply. I know the application process is lengthy and then, even when accepted, things can go almost glacier slow Laughing - so is it worth starting early and is there such a thing as *too* early? I don't want to risk getting lost in the shuffle because I've applied too soon.

I'm also wondering what I can hope to get by way of a contract. I've searched and have been reading posts but I'm still not clear on what is considered too low, fairly reasonable and way too high to hope for. I'm sure I'll still get varying answers here but if they are all in once spot at least they'll be easier to decipher!

About me: I have a Masters of Applied Linguistics (online, 2009 - was told by a director at an HCT campus that it is a "well respected qualification" ), the CELTA and two modules of the DELTA (hopefully the third to be completed in November), and have been a certified IELTS examiner since 2010. I'm about to start my fifth year of being the coordinator and head instructor of a program that runs computer labs that offer business and academic language teaching, including uni-prep academic writing and business communication classes. This program is part of a Canadian government funded school for adult immigrants (many of whom are Arab). I have a fair bit of other experience in teaching, as well as testing and materials writing (for publication).

So that's that. When should I begin applying and what should I expect by way of salary and benefits (ballpark is fine).

Thanks for your help!

~smedini
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... it is too early. Laughing

OK... you've got all the bits of academic paper and good experience. Polish that CV.

Any chance of heading to TESOL Arabia? How about the TESOL conference in the US in Dallas, Texas? Both will be next March.

There is nothing like a face-to-face interview. Apply just after the first of the year and if you can attend TESOL, mention that in your cover letter. If you can't attend, I would still watch the websites of the employers that interest you. (HCT, ZU, UAEU, AUS for example) They all list their openings on their websites and you apply through them.

I'll let current teachers talk about current salary offers, but the package should include the usual furnished housing (or flat + allowances), insurance, flights, gratuity...

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness.... you've had three different avatars in the time it took me to write the first message. Laughing

I like the globe one best.

VS
smedini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Apply just after the first of the year...

Hi VS...

Thanks for your feedback. What do you mean by this? After the first of the school year or the calendar year?

I plan to head to Texas in March if I haven't an offer by then Smile

Thanks!

~smedini
smedini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Goodness.... you've had three different avatars in the time it took me to write the first message. Laughing

I like the globe one best.

VS

Haha...the spinning one was giving me a headache to look at and I was looking around for one I liked! I was hoping to finalize before anyone noticed Wink

~smedini
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year 2013. Cool

VS

I saw the HUGE one that took up half my screen... then there was the little Canadian flag...
smedini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The year 2013. Cool

That'll give me time to polish up that CV then (and polish off the last DELTA module Wink )

~ smedini
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will definitely be a plus for you!!

VS
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: qualies, age, experience enough? Reply with quote

Hi Vs

Read a few of your posts and you seem to be v knowledgable re working and living in UAE. So my question is, both myself and my other half are considering a move to Dubai, she was blown away by what she saw there on a recent trip, so we are just dipping our toes in the water and collecting data.

We have at least 15 years teaching experience in Turkey, the last 10 at University level, however neither of us has an M.A or PHD just the B.A, TEFL, and ICELT will that be enough to be considered, plus we are both in our 50's, is it worth applying for the 2012-2013 academic year?
any comments opinions would be appreciated!
helenl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the better employers require the MA plus post grad related experience. And they get a lot of qualified applicants. GCC employers like the letters after your name, to the point of pretentiousness.

You could try applying, but don't expect to be offered any of the more desireable jobs/salaries/benefits.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also way too late for the '12-13 academic year. The process of hiring takes time (and now it is Ramadhan, so nothing is happening) and the new teachers interviewed and hired in March - May will start arriving this month.

So I would think in terms of next academic year although there is often some hiring done for second semester. Your problem is that as a teaching couple, the two of you might have trouble getting in at the same place. Helen1 is correct about their penchant for degrees... but you lose nothing but time by applying. If I were the two of you, I would plan a trip to Dubai for the TESOLArabia conference in March.

VS
(What's an ICELT? Always a new set of acronyms...)
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,

"ICELT Overview
The Cambridge ESOL In-service Certificate in English Language Teaching (ICELT) focuses on the knowledge and skills needed by working teachers.
ICELT will help you:
increase your knowledge of teaching English
develop your ability to evaluate and improve your teaching.

Because ICELT is flexible, course programmes can be designed to reflect your own teaching context. All courses cover the following areas:
language awareness and language use in the classroom
planning, teaching and self-evaluation
assessment.

Whatever your context, ICELT will increase your confidence as a teacher and help you progress in your career.
After ICELT, if you want to test and develop your teaching knowledge further, you can do other well-established Cambridge ESOL Teaching Awards such as TKT: KAL, TKT: CLIL and the Delta Modules."

https://www.teachers.cambridgeesol.org/ts/teachingqualifications/ICELT

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this different from the CELTA?

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS,

Boy, you've got me googling today Very Happy

"What are the differences between the CELTA and the ICELT?
The main difference is that with the ICELT you are usually observed and graded while teaching your own classes, whereas with the CELTA you teach a group of students who are put together for you to practise on. For this reason, the ICELT is always taken part-time, whereas with the CELTA the 4-week intensive version is much more popular. The CELTA is designed to be taken before you start work (although many people take it after they already have some experience) but the ICELT is an in-service course for working teachers (although it can be taken near the beginning of your career). The CELTA is also only about teaching adults, whereas many people who take the ICELT work with children or teenagers. Because they can enter the ICELT with a lower level of English (CEF level B2, as against C1 or C2 for the CELTA) and it more closely matches their teaching situations, the ICELT is commonly taken by non-native English speaking teachers. The course also has a specific element of language development for the teacher.

Is the ICELT equivalent to the CELTA?
It is offered by the same exam board (Cambridge ESOL) and based on similar criteria, but most schools (e.g. private language schools) who ask for a CELTA or equivalent will not accept an ICELT as an equivalent qualification. One factor is the lower level of English needed to enter the ICELT, so if you have a level of IELTS 6.5 or above (or Cambridge CAE or CPE) you should do the CELTA instead or mention your level of English on your CV.

Should I take the ICELT or the CELTA?
If you want to work in a private language school, you should probably take the CELTA. If you want to take a qualification before you look for your first job it will have to be the CELTA, as the ICELT is only available for in-service teachers. The ICELT is also not available as an intensive course, and there are many more CELTA courses run every year than ICELT ones. However, if your own classes are very different from those that you will do your teaching practice with on the CELTA (small classes of adults), you may find that the ICELT is better tailored to your needs. It is also available for people with a slightly lower (approximately Upper-Intermediate) level of English.

Why is the ICELT not as well known as the CELTA?
It is newer (although it was based on the earlier Certificate for Overseas Teachers of English) and is offered by fewer centres and for fewer courses per year. It is often arranged by and paid for by organisations rather than individuals, which perhaps also affects its name recognition."

http://www.tefl.net/tefl-courses/faq-cambridge-icelt.htm

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why you're my friend John. Laughing

Interestingly, all of my friends who did the CELTA used their current classes and the trainer came in and observed. This was in the UAE. They were all native speakers too.

Thanks...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: