Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mens Dresscode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan13446

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Mens Dresscode Reply with quote

Turks dress very formal....blazer and tie (sometimes a michael jackson glossy fabric visible from the moon)....

As foreigners, do you do the suit/tie thing in classrooms, or adopt a more casual dresscode?
I dont mean tank top, shorts and jesus sandals, but a golf shirt/dockers casual...
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed that Turks dress very formally, though Turkish men are prone to wearing ties with everything. Any rate I had the same question on account of the ties (and also about short-sleeved shirts).
In most places a button-down shirt and slacks with are acceptable, I imagine a collared polo (that's what you mean by a golf shirt, right?) would be too. Certainly I've seen plenty of Turkish men in them in the summer.

Generally my impression from talking to Turks is that for men, as long as everything from your toes to your shoulders is covered, your shirt's tucked in, and your clothes are in good condition, you're good to go for most occasions. I will note that you want to make sure that your hair is kept short and that if you have facial hair it's preferable to keep it as short as possible. (I was even invited to visit a mosque with an uncollared T once, which surprised me.)

I've also been advised that backpacks are a no-no on account of the unreliable backpacker stereotype. I thus carry a backpack for tourism (which gets me constantly mistaken for a German despite my conspicuous lack of lederhosen) and a messenger bag for work purposes.

Keep in mind that Turks want you to look professional, but that a lot of the time they also want you to look like foreign. I was told in Istanbul that my beard (which I grow because of sensitive skin) and hat made me look like an imman, and in western Turkey that's not a compliment.

Regards,
~Q
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish to teach English in Turkey you should dress like a professional businessman. That is...where a suit, tie and remember to have very little if any noticeable facial skin hair. Turks respect English teachers who dress very formally...especially in the classroom. You should also remember as an English teacher you are making much more money than the average Turkish businessman...sometimes more than triple their salary! Good luck! Smile
Pir Maimun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on where you work. My experience is at language schools and universities, and I've found foreigners are given quite a bit of freedom as to dress. I happen to be at work now wearing sandals, and an untucked shirt (it's hot). I've also got a full beard and long hair. Many of my Turkish co-workers are also sporting beards these days. That taboo seems to be on its way out.

In any case, every employer has their own policy regarding dress, and some are really lax about what is allowed.
billy orr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pir that appropriate dress varies greatly between institutions and one needs to be flexible. Once when I was inspected by a Ministry Inspector in a language school I was rated very highly because I was wearing a jacket and tie. No comment was made about my teaching skills!

Teachers in a kolej or high school (or even language school) environment could keep a tie in a drawer somewhere just in case, just to be on the ball, but I doubt if it really matters.

As for salary levels in Turkey, the minimum wage is currently about 740TL net (920TL gross), so a teacher in a language school probably earns about three times as much as the cleaner or tea person, not a business paerson. Turkish state school teachers get just under 2000TL per month. Turkish teachers with ELT degree but no masters teaching in a private university prep school not in istanbul get about 2100TL per month. Most Turkish business people earn considerably more than foreign English teachers.
post_post_philosophy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m starting a job in September and was very bummed when informed during my skype interview that I would have to shave my beard (though he did compliment me first).

As for pants, I have a pair of grey, red, and light blue aside from the traditional khaki color..will it be acceptable to wear these colors to work?

Also, I know it is hot but what seems to be the trend with shirts, long or short sleeve?
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post_post_philosophy wrote:
I`m starting a job in September and was very bummed when informed during my skype interview that I would have to shave my beard (though he did compliment me first).

As for pants, I have a pair of grey, red, and light blue aside from the traditional khaki color..will it be acceptable to wear these colors to work?

Also, I know it is hot but what seems to be the trend with shirts, long or short sleeve?

If they won't let you keep your beard (this had better be a great job to ask that of you), I doubt they'll let you wear red pants. Grey would probably be acceptable, and light blue might me.

Like I said above, I'd imagine short-sleeved shirts are acceptable as long as they're collared, but if with an employer like yours, you might want to ask first.

Regards,
~Q
post_post_philosophy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Q.

Pay seems to be about average for Istanbul from what I`ve seen. Hopefully I can at least get away with a shortened beard as I would be pretty sad to see it go completely.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post_post_philosophy wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Q.

Pay seems to be about average for Istanbul from what I`ve seen. Hopefully I can at least get away with a shortened beard as I would be pretty sad to see it go completely.

Oh, I see.
Yeah, that's pretty standard, for employers to want beards down to just above what we in America would call stubble. It's a Turkish fashion. I was advised to do the same thing by a potential coworker.

Employers in America often demand that their employees shave off their beards completely, and while I hadn't heard of that in Turkey, given the association of beards with Islamism I wouldn't be surprised if it's required for public schools.

Though my impression is generally Turks mind beards on westerners less, since we're probably not likely to be an imman, especially if they're kept properly groomed. (Don't know if you've seen the immans who go around in white robes, fezzes, and thick, shaggy beards, but if you're in Istanbul long, you will.)

Regards,
~Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: