Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Thailand with an English degree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishcado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Thailand with an English degree Reply with quote

Hi all,

Been thinking about teaching English in Thailand now more than ever after meeting someone who has been teaching there for the past 14 years. I wanted to get a sense of what type of salary would I expect with a Bachelor's degree, having majored in English, and looking into a pursuing a TEFL.

I've been working in academic publishing for the past ten years and looking for a change in career.

My hope is to land a job by September. With everything stated above is earning 40,000 bht a month realistic? I am open to teaching students at various ages. I'm looking to stay for the long run; not just a year.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
timteach

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40,000 seems possible and realistic but your lack of teaching experience might have a negative impact.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Thailand with an English degree Reply with quote

fishcado wrote:
Hi all,

Been thinking about teaching English in Thailand now more than ever after meeting someone who has been teaching there for the past 14 years. I wanted to get a sense of what type of salary would I expect with a Bachelor's degree, having majored in English, and looking into a pursuing a TEFL.

I've been working in academic publishing for the past ten years and looking for a change in career.

My hope is to land a job by September. With everything stated above is earning 40,000 bht a month realistic? I am open to teaching students at various ages. I'm looking to stay for the long run; not just a year.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

A newbie, fresh off the plane, with a passport from an anglophone country, and a degree in hand can expect to land a job in the 35-40k thb range.

After you get established and make a bit of a (good) name for yourself you can usually bump your income to the 50k+ range without much difficulty.

Get yourself a 60-day, double entry tourist visa and a plane ticket and you are good to go.

fishcado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the quick replies. Truly appreciated! Would love to go now but from what I read on the message boards March/April appears to be the best time to fly over to seek a position (and allow me to get my certification).
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that teacher salaries in Thailand have remained the same for about 35 years or so....and if you are earning between Baht 35,000 - Baht 40,000 per month it is extremely dificult to save money in Bangkok. My advice is if you come here for the long term consider this place only as a working holiday and come and teach in Isaan where you can save more money than in Bangkok. Also remember that there are millions of farang backpackers all year round who extend their stay in the LOS by teaching English. Good luck in your seardh in the LOS! Smile
trasheed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle Eyes wrote:
Remember that teacher salaries in Thailand have remained the same for about 35 years or so....and if you are earning between Baht 35,000 - Baht 40,000 per month it is extremely dificult to save money in Bangkok. My advice is if you come here for the long term consider this place only as a working holiday and come and teach in Isaan where you can save more money than in Bangkok. Also remember that there are millions of farang backpackers all year round who extend their stay in the LOS by teaching English. Good luck in your seardh in the LOS! Smile

Eagle Eyes, what makes it difficult to save money in Thailand? Everything seems so cheap based upon websites I've seen if you're just focused on the basics. I am sure you have a reason for saying it isn't a good place to save money.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trasheed wrote:
... what makes it difficult to save money in Thailand? Everything seems so cheap based upon websites I've seen if you're just focused on the basics. I am sure you have a reason for saying it isn't a good place to save money.

Booze, broads, beaches and bright lights....

For young people, fresh out of college there is little incentive to apply themselves so they quickly hit the glass ceiling, stagnate at 35k thb because it required little effort and spend their free time looking at the bottom of a pint while whinging about how bad things are.

There is plenty of opportunity for someone with a degree, a modicum of common sense and the wherewithal that ghod gave green apples to quickly rise above the glass ceiling and do as well here as they would in China, Japan or Korea.

sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Anybody considering Thailand for work or travel needs to begin following the news out of Bangkok immediately in order to to stay informed about events as they unfold on a daily basis. Exclamation
trasheed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
trasheed wrote:
... what makes it difficult to save money in Thailand? Everything seems so cheap based upon websites I've seen if you're just focused on the basics. I am sure you have a reason for saying it isn't a good place to save money.

Booze, broads, beaches and bright lights....

For young people, fresh out of college there is little incentive to apply themselves so they quickly hit the glass ceiling, stagnate at 35k thb because it required little effort and spend their free time looking at the bottom of a pint while whinging about how bad things are.

There is plenty of opportunity for someone with a degree, a modicum of common sense and the wherewithal that ghod gave green apples to quickly rise above the glass ceiling and do as well here as they would in China, Japan or Korea.

Well that sounds reasonable. Since I'm a chick and straight, broads are out. I'm 32 and not 23 and a parent simultaneously who doesn't drink or smoke or hang so booze and bright lights don't apply. The beach though... I could spend days on the beach with the kiddos, but I don't see that keeping me from saving money lol. And I have a degree! Looks like I should be alright! Smile
trasheed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
Arrow Anybody considering Thailand for work or travel needs to begin following the news out of Bangkok immediately in order to to stay informed about events as they unfold on a daily basis. Exclamation

Will do, thank you.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will do, thank you.

You're very welcome. You can start here:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Korkaew-warns-of-civil-war-if-court-rules-against--30185931.html

Quote:

Korkaew warns of civil war if court rules against amendments

July 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Pheu Thai party-list MP and red-shirt leader Korkaew Pikulthong Wednesday warned that a civil war would break out if the Constitution Court ruled against charter amendments.

But Korkaew expressed confidence that the court would not rule that the amendments were tantamount to attempts to toppling the ruling system and in violation of article 68.

Korkaew said he expected that the court would rule that the amendments could be made on an article-by-article basis.

He said that in the worst case scenario, the court would rule that the amendments were efforts to topple the Constitutional Monarchy.

If that proved to be the cases, civil war would erupt, he said.

Korkaew said the government would not accept such a ruling and the government�s supporters would retaliate against Constitution Court judges by filing complaints with the police accusing the judges of sedition.

He said if police refused to arrest the judges, the people would take the law into their own hands and try to arrest the judges.

Korkaew said the elite would mobilise their supporters to protect the judges and the people of the two sides would clash.

Korkaew said police would not be able to control the situation so the military would stage a coup. After the coup, the people would come out to wage a civil war against the military, Korkaew added.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: