Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone moving to Abu Dhabi in August?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
issi14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: anyone moving to Abu Dhabi in August? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm new to the board. I wanted to know if anyone's moving to Abu Dhabi in August of 2012. I'm looking for an apartment and needed advice. Where do I begin my search? Also would like to get to know a couple of people before I get there since I don't know anybody. I'm waiting on IAT to let me know if I have passed the recruitment process (had a Skype interview in Feb and received a letter of acceptance from them a few weeks later, sent all my documents and now waiting). Is it normal to take this long? Heard from a few that yes. But that doesn't stop me from starting my apartment search. Budget is about 10000 dirham a month. Looking for a one or two bedroom apartment. Preferably in Al Khalidiya or nearby.

Anybody else planning on working at IAT Abu Dhabi campus?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no sense in doing a flat search until you get there... especially if you haven't heard anything from them since February.

Have you called them to see what is going on?

VS
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

February! TESOL Arabia came along in March. I would check and see what's happening with IAT. One way to look around the rental market is to try http://abudhabi.dubizzle.com
Prices are dropping in Abu Dhabi.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start your search www.dubizzle.com and choose abu dhabi.

You can also start looking at prices using gulf news ads.

As for the lack of communication from HR at IAT, welcome to the UAE. It is always 'hurry up and wait.' Lots of communications, then nothing for 5 months, then a flurry of emails the week before you are supposed to come.
issi14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the response guys! very helpful! They did send me my contract by "accident" but then recalled it because they hadn't received an answer from the government so therefore they had sent it to me "too early". They asked me to be patient cause it would take time. So maybe like some of you have said, they will contact me a week before. I will start my apartment search anyways because I'd like to at least get an idea about neighboorhoods.

Question for those who have gone there on a teacher's contract: are there any documents or paperwork I need to prepare now before I come? Example, criminal record check or other important papers that may take weeks to prepare and therefore I should get on them now? Other advice on what to bring or prepare for before leave the country?

Thanks.
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some Facebook groups with teachers heading to Abu Dhabi in August 2012 and some who arrived in October of 2011.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/286539264743404/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OctoberLTs2011/
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

issi14 wrote:
thanks for the response guys! very helpful! They did send me my contract by "accident" but then recalled it because they hadn't received an answer from the government so therefore they had sent it to me "too early". They asked me to be patient cause it would take time. So maybe like some of you have said, they will contact me a week before. I will start my apartment search anyways because I'd like to at least get an idea about neighboorhoods.

Question for those who have gone there on a teacher's contract: are there any documents or paperwork I need to prepare now before I come? Example, criminal record check or other important papers that may take weeks to prepare and therefore I should get on them now? Other advice on what to bring or prepare for before leave the country?

Thanks.

There are two big sets of documentation you should get before you get to the UAE as it is much easier to do it in your home country.

You will need to have your degrees attested by your home country. For the US it is pretty straight forward, but kinda time consuming. I can't tell you how to do this in any other country.

At the same time you get your degrees attested, you will also need to get marriage licenses and children's birth certificates attested.

This process isn't that expensive (it only cost about $150 US for us when we were in the US before coming) but it gets VERY expensive if you do it from the UAE (something like $400 to $800, depending on who does it for you).

so you should contact HR and see if and when they need your attested documents and then get that done while you have the time.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugebritneyfan wrote:
There are some Facebook groups with teachers heading to Abu Dhabi in August 2012 and some who arrived in October of 2011.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/286539264743404/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OctoberLTs2011/

It appears that these are both ADEC teacher groups. TeachAway also has a Facebook page for their teachers. I suspect that many of them belong to all three of these groups.

VS
issi14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone! I joined both facebook groups. don't have kids or husband so that'll save me some money on the docs. lol. but I do have a university and TESOL certificate (original) from my institutions. how do I certify them? they're already stamped and approved by both schools.
I'm getting my shots done on Tuesday. I hear HEP A+B are most important. any other vaccines I should know about?
gonna call them this week and see what's going on. last contact was in May and they told me to be patient. trying . . . lol. Eisenhorn, did this happen to you too? which school did you apply for? Wish I knew other IAT potential candidates in the same boat. would make me feel a little better. lol.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

issi14 wrote:
I'm getting my shots done on Tuesday. I hear HEP A+B are most important. any other vaccines I should know about?

Nobody bothers with any shots for the Gulf. None are needed other than whatever you would normally get in your home country. Hep shots are good if one does much travel to parts of Africa and Asia.

VS
diodeone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
issi14 wrote:

Nobody bothers with any shots for the Gulf. None are needed other than whatever you would normally get in your home country. Hep shots are good if one does much travel to parts of Africa and Asia.

VS

It's always exhilatring watching someone try to converse with someone else who is tone deaf.
Laughing
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/photo/4910353.cms
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diodeone wrote:
It's always exhilatring watching someone try to converse with someone else who is tone deaf.

exhilatring? English teacher right?

Are you suggesting that this person needs more shots? Or are you just attempting humor?

VS
diodeone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
diodeone wrote:

exhilatring? English teacher right?

Are you suggesting that this person needs more shots? Or are you just attempting humor?

VS

Yes, I was attempting humor because the other person seemed oblivious to your suggestions. My apologies. It was the other person not you that I found comical.
issi14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How am I oblivious? Find your humour a bit offensive. I DID read the post and followed the suggestions. I was merely mentioning what information I had found. Actually, I canceled my appointment and DID take her advice. Maybe you should read the thread more carefully.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a misunderstanding then... the problem with boards is that everyone can't respond to everything - even though they may take the advice (or decide not to). Awfully easy to misinterpret...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: