Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best option if Korea falls through?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Best option if Korea falls through? Reply with quote

So I need to have a plan B if Korea doesnt come through within the next month. (worried about an issue coming up from pulling a midnight run and dipping out on some bills ect)

So I am wondering where would be my next best option. Needs to be a place where I can save atleast 500 a month (more the better).

I have a non related University degree. No TEFOL cert but I suppose I could get one online if I had to.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best option if Korea falls through? Reply with quote

The Internationalist wrote:
So I need to have a plan B if Korea doesnt come through within the next month. (worried about an issue coming up from pulling a midnight run and dipping out on some bills ect)

So I am wondering where would be my next best option. Needs to be a place where I can save atleast 500 a month (more the better).

I have a non related University degree. No TEFOL cert but I suppose I could get one online if I had to.

Easiest place to get work would be China. An on on-line TEFL course would suffice for visa purposes.

Next on the list would be Taiwan. It is a boots on the ground thing but the money at the end of the day, if you are any good, is comparable to Korea.

The Internationalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the savings were not much if any in China?

Also what about Vietnam?

The CELTA program in Thailand where you get a job paying 1k for 6 months after seems interesting.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who made 20+ dollars/hour in China back in 2009, working illegally, part-time in Changsha on a student visa, with no qualifications whatsoever. (Though he did have fake quals; they just didn't check. He made up a degree from a prestigious American college, and not knowing about TESOL claimed instead of a cert to have experience teaching English to underprivileged immigrants.) The China forums seem to indicate that the way to find a good job is to go there in person. I've considered it a good many times, but the risks have always seemed to great to me, since I'm frankly not a great negotiator. Not to mention the Great Firewall.

Also what about Vietnam?

Both before and after I Korea I applied for jobs in Vietnam. I do have a recognized, in-person TESOL cert. The only one that responded told me I wasn't being considered since they had other candidates who were much better qualified. The rest didn't bother. From reading the Vietnam forums that's pretty standard; you need an MA, a good deal of experience, and/or boots on the ground to get hired there.

The CELTA program in Thailand where you get a job paying 1k for 6 months after seems interesting.

"Interesting" is likely to be a good word for it. Get your CELTA/TESOL cert from and your employment separately. You definitely want some control over where you'll end up working, and you'll probably want a certificate which doesn't amount to in-house training.

Regards,
~Q
Shroob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qaaolchoura wrote:

I have a friend who made 20+ dollars/hour in China back in 2009, working illegally, part-time in Changsha on a student visa, with no qualifications whatsoever. (Though he did have fake quals; they just didn't check. He made up a degree from a prestigious American college, and not knowing about TESOL claimed instead of a cert to have experience teaching English to underprivileged immigrants.) The China forums seem to indicate that the way to find a good job is to go there in person. I've considered it a good many times, but the risks have always seemed to great to me, since I'm frankly not a great negotiator. Not to mention the Great Firewall.

Also what about Vietnam?

Both before and after I Korea I applied for jobs in Vietnam. I do have a recognized, in-person TESOL cert. The only one that responded told me I wasn't being considered since they had other candidates who were much better qualified. The rest didn't bother. From reading the Vietnam forums that's pretty standard; you need an MA, a good deal of experience, and/or boots on the ground to get hired there.

"Interesting" is likely to be a good word for it. Get your CELTA/TESOL cert from and your employment separately. You definitely want some control over where you'll end up working, and you'll probably want a certificate which doesn't amount to in-house training.

Regards,
~Q

To work legally in China you have to apply for the visa outside of the country, so if you did go to China and find a job you would have to leave to apply for the visa. That is if you're working legally. Recently there has been a lot of talk about the government making you apply from your home country (previously people used to do a 'H.K. run'.

China's a definite option, I always say China's what you make of it. Jobs are definitely varied. If you have the right business acumen you can make a lot of money.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To followup on what I posted earlier.

ANYONE who can get an E2 in Korea can do well anywhere else in Asia.

IF you take a job in China at 3500-4500 rmb then you get what you deserve.
If somebody has a degree, a TEFL cert and a modicum of common sense then 10-15k rmb is certainly possible (even outside of Beijing and Shanghai).
It is like Korea was 10-15 years ago - very much the wild west of the east.

Vietnam is OK. $2000 is certainly achievable for those with a degree and TEFL cert. Best opportunities are found on the ground.

Thailand - fresh off the plane you can get 35k thb in a legal job (visa and work permit) with just your degree. $1000 / month is NOTHING SPECIAL.

Land and add a real CELTA (not just a generic TEFL cert), look around for a few days and 40-50k ($1300-1600) are realistic. Stick around for a while and don't get too badly distracted by the bright lights and distractions of BKK and learn the lay of the land. 60k+ ($2000) is not uncommon and more is certainly possible if you show a little initiative.

Boots on the ground and Taiwan can be similar to Korea in terms of job and remuneration. The only real problem is finding full-time work rather than a series of part-time buxiban jobs to make it all up. This is less of an issue for those with a clean CBC and a degree (since a proper visa is possible) and employers are more likely to take you on full-time.

Shroob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
To followup on what I posted earlier.

ANYONE who can get an E2 in Korea can do well anywhere else in Asia.

IF you take a job in China at 3500-4500 rmb then you get what you deserve.
If somebody has a degree, a TEFL cert and a modicum of common sense then 10-15k rmb is certainly possible (even outside of Beijing and Shanghai).
It is like Korea was 10-15 years ago - very much the wild west of the east.

Vietnam is OK. $2000 is certainly achievable for those with a degree and TEFL cert. Best opportunities are found on the ground.

Thailand - fresh off the plane you can get 35k thb in a legal job (visa and work permit) with just your degree. $1000 / month is NOTHING SPECIAL.

Land and add a real CELTA (not just a generic TEFL cert), look around for a few days and 40-50k ($1300-1600) are realistic. Stick around for a while and don't get too badly distracted by the bright lights and distractions of BKK and learn the lay of the land. 60k+ ($2000) is not uncommon and more is certainly possible if you show a little initiative.

Boots on the ground and Taiwan can be similar to Korea in terms of job and remuneration. The only real problem is finding full-time work rather than a series of part-time buxiban jobs to make it all up. This is less of an issue for those with a clean CBC and a degree (since a proper visa is possible) and employers are more likely to take you on full-time.

Just to add to the point in bold, if that's ALL you earn then yes, I agree. However, I accepted a position that pays within these boundaries, but is that ALL I earn? Certainly not. The position's useful as it gives me a free house, no utilities, almost half a year of paid holiday, low work hours, visas/paperwork and other benefits. So I wouldn't necessarily turn down a position that pays less than 4,500RMB. Like I said before, China's what you make of it. The opportunities are there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: