Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My next steps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canada_1986

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: My next steps Reply with quote

I recently left the institute where I had been teaching for the past few months. I've been looking for jobs back home but the Canadian job market in my other field (business administration) still seems to be very fragile, so I'm looking to continue teaching English in Mexico. My questions:

- How common is it for English schools/institutes to provide IMSS or other medical insurance to employees? I realize that the "law" says employees working 20 hours or more per week must be given medical insurance, but it sounds like a lot of institutes (including the one I've come from) find a way around the law.

- Some of the "better" institutes require CELTA certification. How easy is it to get this? How much does it typically cost in Mexico, and how much does it typically cost in North America?

- In Mexico City specifically, what are some good places to teach that cater to businesspeople specifically? I've read various comments on this board before but I'd like to see if anyone has any recent experience with any institutes. I'm also interested in some nearby cities such as Puebla.

I'm not willing to return to the first institute I worked in...the name contains the word "harm" in it, I'm sure everyone can figure it out.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw an ad today saying that Epson Mexico is looking to hire an in house teacher. (Saw it through the US Embassy's English Programs Facebook feed). It said the contract would be through honorarios--so no IMSS. But if you have an independant FM3 you can sign up for IMSS or Seguro Popular on your own.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My next steps Reply with quote

canada_1986 wrote:
I recently left the institute where I had been teaching for the past few months. I've been looking for jobs back home but the Canadian job market in my other field (business administration) still seems to be very fragile, so I'm looking to continue teaching English in Mexico. My questions:

- How common is it for English schools/institutes to provide IMSS or other medical insurance to employees? I realize that the "law" says employees working 20 hours or more per week must be given medical insurance, but it sounds like a lot of institutes (including the one I've come from) find a way around the law.

- Some of the "better" institutes require CELTA certification. How easy is it to get this? How much does it typically cost in Mexico, and how much does it typically cost in North America?

- In Mexico City specifically, what are some good places to teach that cater to businesspeople specifically? I've read various comments on this board before but I'd like to see if anyone has any recent experience with any institutes. I'm also interested in some nearby cities such as Puebla.

I'm not willing to return to the first institute I worked in...the name contains the word "harm" in it, I'm sure everyone can figure it out.

Hamer Sharp has some students interested in business type classes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: