Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA or MA?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musaafira

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: CELTA or MA? Reply with quote

Hi again,

Someone suggested that I get a CELTA instead of an MA...

(I already have my BA, 2 years teach. exp, and TESOL Cert...)

I wanted to ask everyone on this forum for their suggestions based on their experience with employers in the UAE... both school and college levels.

Shall I aim for the CELTA or MA?

Thanks!
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CELTA is the MINIMUM you need for a decent job. The MA is what would be preferred.

The real question is how quickly do you want to be working. You can get a CELTA in an intensive course in one month. That MA is ... well an MA. Minimum year (if you are crazy) or more likely two years.

Of course there is also the trade off of what can you expect salary wise with a CELTA vs an MA.

The MA opens LOT more doors, but the CELTA may get your foot in that door.
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have a TESOL Cert...that's what a CELTA is, so I wouldn't see the point in doubling up on your certifications (unless your TESOL Cert is one of those unrecognized weekend jobbers).

Go for the MA for sure, it will open far more doors for you!
gator07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience and from what others have mentioned, an MA seems like the way to go... especially if you want work in the UAE.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally a TESOL Cert is not considered as the same as a CELTA. It depends on where and how you got it... That wasn't mentioned.
tideout

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Certification etc. Reply with quote

I certainly don't want to get into a my certification is bigger than your certification debate but I'm wondering about working there with the following:

I have three and a half years of ESL work experience, two in S. Korea with letters of reference, no criminal issues etc. I'm 52 - look a bit younger.

My certification is from the School of International Training (SIT). I know it's not as well known as a Celta but it's still very well regarded.

Any chance of a decent job teaching there?
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Certification etc. Reply with quote

tideout wrote:
I certainly don't want to get into a my certification is bigger than your certification debate but I'm wondering about working there with the following:

I have three and a half years of ESL work experience, two in S. Korea with letters of reference, no criminal issues etc. I'm 52 - look a bit younger.

My certification is from the School of International Training (SIT). I know it's not as well known as a Celta but it's still very well regarded.

It has nothing to do with if your certification is "bigger than" another certification and everything to do with whether it is accepted by the ministry of higher education. A CELTA is, many others aren't.

As for your question about finding work. You should be able to find work, but don't expect it to be the "big time" university jobs. For those they usually want an MA and 3 years experience (post MA).

Apply for jobs, the worst they can do is say no.
tideout

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Certification etc. Reply with quote

Eisenhorn wrote:
tideout wrote:

It has nothing to do with if your certification is "bigger than" another certification and everything to do with whether it is accepted by the ministry of higher education. A CELTA is, many others aren't.

As for your question about finding work. You should be able to find work, but don't expect it to be the "big time" university jobs. For those they usually want an MA and 3 years experience (post MA).

Apply for jobs, the worst they can do is say no.

Ha, ha, I was joking a bit wit the "bigger" issue -forgot for a second that I wasn't in the Korea jobs forum!!

How do I find out if SIT's TESOL is accepted there ? Where can I access the list or check on that?

Thanks by the way for responding.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there were a list somewhere, that would be ... like... organized or something. We can't have that!! Laughing

It has seemed to me that it is employer acceptance of a cert rather than the Ministry. I haven't read of any mentions here of anyone not getting an offered job because the Ministry later rejected their cert.

The thing is that there aren't many jobs in the UAE for someone with your limited credentials. You might try Oman or Saudia. Your problem is that with your age and lack of an MA in hand... you are cut off from the good jobs in the Gulf.

VS
baa_baa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celta is valid for 2 years.. but an MA is forever. If you are up for it definitely MA Very Happy at some schools salaries for MA is more though not big of a difference but why not. where do you plan to do your MA, in the UAE?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baa_baa wrote:
celta is valid for 2 years.. but an MA is forever.

Since when is CELTA only valid for 2 years. I have never heard such a thing, nor has it ever been mentioned here on this board.

I worked with dozens of CELTA holders over the years and all of them were over 2 years old and never was its age an issue.

VS
bin There

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CELTA is valid forever, although skills learnt on it after decades have passed since getting it might lead to employers asking whether new skills have been gotten - especially those in edtech, which the CELTA doesn't spend so much time on.

If it ran out after 2 years, most of the world's qualified ESL teachers would not be qualified.
123Loto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: CELTA or MA? Reply with quote

musaafira wrote:
Hi again,

Someone suggested that I get a CELTA instead of an MA...

(I already have my BA, 2 years teach. exp, and TESOL Cert...)

I wanted to ask everyone on this forum for their suggestions based on their experience with employers in the UAE... both school and college levels.

Shall I aim for the CELTA or MA?

Thanks!

I think you mean the DELTA - in Britain it is considered to be at the same level as an MA.

The CELTA is the equivalent of your TESOL Cert.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CELTA or MA? Reply with quote

123Loto wrote:
I think you mean the DELTA - in Britain it is considered to be at the same level as an MA.

While this is true in the UK, I would not count on it being true with employers in the Gulf. I haven't seen any ads that said "DELTA or MA."

VS
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
baa_baa wrote:
celta is valid for 2 years.. but an MA is forever.

Since when is CELTA only valid for 2 years. I have never heard such a thing, nor has it ever been mentioned here on this board.

I worked with dozens of CELTA holders over the years and all of them were over 2 years old and never was its age an issue.

VS

Possibly the perennial Celta = Tefl = TOEFL confusion, with the latter only being valid for two years, I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: