Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs available for those with an MA TESOL (lacking a BA).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Jobs available for those with an MA TESOL (lacking a BA). Reply with quote

I'm a 30 year old Canadian interested in working in Hong Kong sometime after graduation (currently doing an MA TESOL through Nottingham uni in Malaysia).

I have over 7 years of experience teaching from Kindergarten to High School (through a pseudo international school in Saigon), as well as a TESOL cert (a rather weak one from Oxford Seminars).

With all the research I've done on this forum, I haven't found anyone with my somewhat unusual (future) qualifications. Out of curiosity, I contacted the British Council about teaching work, and their reply stated that the MA would bypass the first degree 'without difficulty', but that I would also need a level one TESOL certificate (CELTA and the like).

Based on the fact that I would be qualified at the BC (with an additional CELTA), I'm wondering what else would be open to me? The NET scheme is definitely not an option (I've contacted them).

Being a single guy without kids, I'm not too worried about my salary, but would obviously like a wage that is reasonably comfortable. An apartment would be nice, and it certainly wouldn't have to be spacious - as long as it's not filthy.

This is a specialized question, and I don't expect much feedback, but whatever I can get would be much appreciated!
Perilla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British Council might be your best bet initially - they pay well enough for you to live comfortably and save something too, depending on your indulgences of course. Then, once settled here, you could look for something better. I do think though that the missing BA will present problems in quals-obsessed HK, especially as regards regular schools and international schools. But you might be able to get into the unis, especially after gaining some experience and contacts via BC.
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Perilla. I guess the second obstacle would be (after meeting the initial requirements with the BC) the interview - a process in which I'm actually not that experienced with despite all my previous jobs. I'm sure I'll be able to spit out lots of technical jargon to impress them after completing this MA TESOL Smile

Hong Kong certainly seems to be on the more strict end when it comes to qualifications. I know I could do better elsewhere, but Hong Kong is at the top of my list in terms of interest. After living in Vietnam all these years, I wouldn't mind a place where I could blend in more. Been to Hong Kong a few times, and really enjoy the place.
Perilla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know of BC, if you're called to interview you are pretty much home and dry. You'd better be on your toes though - late July-mid August is when BC usually does most of it's recruitment for the coming year.
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: