Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPT - a warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dyadya Misha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: IPT - a warning Reply with quote

I know that (unfortunately) most new teachers, and new teachers to Russia more specifically, don't often know enough to come to these pages to seek advice from those already in the country. However, on the off chance that some do, here's a warning regarding IPT.

I've worked for IPT twice - pre-crisis and 'post'-crisis. I went back because it was a good company for which to work a few years ago - that's changed. While much of the criticism they come in for is wide of the mark, or simply hearsay, I've just had to get a lawyer involved to ensure that I got paid for my last month working for the company.

First off, I did leave without giving the one month's notice stipulated in my contract, and with that in mind I can see why IPT were annoyed at me. However, I jumped through all the hoops that were put in front of me when I knew I was leaving, gave detailed handover information, returned all materials, etc. The owner also knew that I was looking for work elsewhere as well, even if neither of us knew that I would leave so suddenly.

In the last five years, IPT have effectively fired two managers by text message and been threatened with legal action for non-payment of salary. And that's just the cases of which I am aware. Their administration is a shambles, with promises about bank accounts and housing made and broken, documents constantly getting lost, a general lack of internal organisation, account managers calling you while you're teaching their group to ask why you aren't teaching their group, etc.

To anyone thinking about working for them - think long and hard about the kind of company those who've been there know them to be. I was lucky that I have Russian lawyer friends in Moscow who could advise me, but many aren't so fortunate. There are companies that pay better, give you less hassle and more help and you would be better off looking around a little bit longer if Moscow is where you want to be.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear! A truly dreadful place to work.

Steer well clear, or get a lawyer. You'll most likely need one in the end.
Peg Leg Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job they didn't have your passport "for safe-keeping".
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same, but didn't write it. Good man for doing so!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: