Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QP/QU/Private Colleges/Int'l Scools/ ??? where are good$$ss

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesuitthatdidnt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: QP/QU/Private Colleges/Int'l Scools/ ??? where are good$$ss Reply with quote

Embarassed Twisted Evil

Am looking into Jan 2013....but where to start?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google? Job Ads here and on various sites. See which ads meet your qualifications.

January is not the best time. Most hiring in the Gulf is for an Aug/Sept start.

The big pay is only for people with a good CV. MA? How many years of related experience?

VS
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Google? Job Ads here and on various sites. See which ads meet your qualifications.

January is not the best time. Most hiring in the Gulf is for an Aug/Sept start.

The big pay is only for people with a good CV. MA? How many years of related experience?

VS

Not necessarily. I know people with decidedly average, or even below average, CVs who are getting very good money teaching in Qatar. Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely depends on one's definition of "good." Laughing

VS
millie18

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect a good number of those mentioned by bulgogiboy are working at CNAQ. It's the best gig in town for EFL teachers as they can be hired without a relevant MA because of the primary requirement of all faculty holding a Canadian passport, not the qualifications required at nearly all other tertiary institutions in the GCC.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering what I have heard privately from CNAQ employees, it is a tolerable job for Canadians as at least the pay is good. But the best employer? No way... unless you were being facetious... which I suspect due to your comment on the only credential being the proper passport. Cool

Just in case someone is confused though... The best employers are the private American University branches in University City. They are also the most difficult jobs to get as they are small and there are not that many EFL positions.

VS
millie18

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, let me clarify (or expand on) my comment. It is the best paying gig in town for Canadian EFL teachers who do not meet the minimum qualifications/experience requirements for employment at most other tertiary institutions in the GCC.

As you rightly point out, the American Universities in Education City are the primo jobs for those who do meet the experience/qualifications criteria.

Oh, and I'm not saying that all (or anywhere near the majority) of the EFL faculty are unqualified or inexperienced - but there is a sufficient number to be noticeable by their colleagues.

ETA and all that being said, there are reportedly those who have the educational qualifications and "experience" (in all faculties) who should not be in a tertiary institution either (just as there are those without the papers who are exceptional teachers).

The difference at CNAQ is the candidate pool is arbitrarily limited by nationality instead of hopefully on competence and ability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: