Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best place to teach Venezuela, Columbia or Central America?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nicklaw86



Joined: 08 Jan 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Best place to teach Venezuela, Columbia or Central America? Reply with quote

Hi all!

I have no experience living in South/Central america but plan to teach in either Venezuela, Columbia or Central America.

Was hoping to find out in which of these countries do teachers have the best living standards, with reference to the ratio between pay and rent. i was hoping to be able to afford a studio apartment or share a 2 bedroom apartment.

Sorry for such a specific questions guys and girls but my research so far seems to be futile.

anyway thanks for reading guys and girls.

Regards
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
uh huh



Joined: 14 Oct 2011
Posts: 90
Location: San Pedro la Laguna Guatemala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Best place to Reply with quote

To paraphrase GW Bush, Central America is a big country. Which part of it are you interested in? And you might want to check your country spellings. And do some research. You'll get more and more helpful answers if you show you've done some work ahead of time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spanglish



Joined: 21 May 2009
Posts: 580
Location: working on that

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central America and Venezuela are probably impossible (unless you're a K-12 teacher and can get on at a top international school), which leaves Colombia. Colombia, Mexico, Ecuador and Chile seem to offer the best opportunities to ESL teachers.

Check out the Colombia forum; we've got tons of info there on salaries, employers, cost of living and quality of life.

Edit: I think you can find work in Costa Rica, but it looks like relatively low salaries and very high cost of living.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 8815
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
Central America and Venezuela are probably impossible (unless you're a K-12 teacher and can get on at a top international school), which leaves Colombia. Colombia, Mexico, Ecuador and Chile seem to offer the best opportunities to ESL teachers.


Really? How about VENUSA? They'll place people there. In Venezuela.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
spanglish



Joined: 21 May 2009
Posts: 580
Location: working on that

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
spanglish wrote:
Central America and Venezuela are probably impossible (unless you're a K-12 teacher and can get on at a top international school), which leaves Colombia. Colombia, Mexico, Ecuador and Chile seem to offer the best opportunities to ESL teachers.


Really? How about VENUSA? They'll place people there. In Venezuela.


I can't speak for many of those places, including Venezuela, from professional experience so perhaps there are opportunities. Just from my personal experience from traveling to Venezuela and Central America, talking to friends and reading the boards there seems to be very little in the way of decent ESL opps in those places. I particularly say that because the OP seemed to want a pretty good standard of living which I highly they'll find in Venezuela or Central America.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicklaw86



Joined: 08 Jan 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks heaps for replies guys!! a mate of mine lives in Mexico city and his sent my CV to Berlitz.

Currently i think i might just give it a crack and see how i go.... I googled living costs of Mexico city and they appear to be lower than Bogota. Unfortunately i wasn't able to find the difference of living costs between a safe area in Bogota and and a safe area in Mexico.

Thanks again for ya help! any thoughts on Berlitz in Mexico city?

p.s. apologies for incorrect spelling of Colombia.

cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spanglish



Joined: 21 May 2009
Posts: 580
Location: working on that

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.F. appears to be around 25% lower cost of living than Bogota.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guy Courchesne



Joined: 10 Mar 2003
Posts: 9381
Location: Mexico City

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
D.F. appears to be around 25% lower cost of living than Bogota.


We hashed all that out earlier this year...

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=94677

Quote:
Thanks again for ya help! any thoughts on Berlitz in Mexico city?


Their business English class unit can pay well but not offer a lot of hours. Working in their facilities with general English students will not yield much of a salary. You can do much better in DF than Berlitz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad



Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 783
Location: Juan Aldama, Zacatecas, Mexico

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

nicklaw86 wrote:
Thanks heaps for replies guys!! a mate of mine lives in Mexico city and his sent my CV to Berlitz.

Currently i think i might just give it a crack and see how i go.... I googled living costs of Mexico city and they appear to be lower than Bogota. Unfortunately i wasn't able to find the difference of living costs between a safe area in Bogota and and a safe area in Mexico.

Thanks again for ya help! any thoughts on Berlitz in Mexico city?

p.s. apologies for incorrect spelling of Colombia.

cheers


But you said you wanted to teach in Central or South America, and Mexico is neither..........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spanglish



Joined: 21 May 2009
Posts: 580
Location: working on that

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

nicklaw86 wrote:
any thoughts on Berlitz in Mexico city?


Probably the worst job you could get. If you have a CELTA, IH is a good starter job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC