Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zirve University

View previous topic :: View next topic  
montague

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Zirve University Reply with quote

I was offered a position here. There are a couple old posts speaking negatively about the place in very vague terms. Any more concrete evaluation (specifics please) would be greatly appreciated.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirve University in Gaziantep has a poor reputation for keeping its teachers. The students act like teachers and the teachers act like students. Do not work here the students are mostly spoiled and come from wealthy backgrounds and the turnover rate amongst EFL teachers is amongst the highest in Turkey! Shocked
wander&teach

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Zirve University Reply with quote

For the past year I have worked at Zirve University and can speak from personal and relevant experience. I have found that if a teacher acts professionally, he or she will be treated like a professional by the administration and the majority of students. I have thoroughly enjoyed teaching at Zirve and feel that I have contributed to my students' futures. During my time here I have made several life-long connections with students and teachers. As with teaching young adults anywhere, at times you will have to maintain good classroom management practices, however, this is part of being an effective teacher. Teaching overseas in a totally different culture always presents challenges but overall I can say that my time at Zirve has been a positive experience.

Gaziantep is the sixth largest city in Turkey with a population around 1.5 million, and very much still developing. It has great growth potential, but currently it is still a very conservative and religious place. There is a lot of construction going on pretty much everywhere but some sections are developed and others are charming with an extensive and fascinating history. So, if you can accept a conservative setting, and appreciate history and religion, you will be just fine here. However, if you are looking for nightclubs and a lot of entertainment, you will surely be bored. Message me privately if you have any questions and best of luck in your job search.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These people are advertising for teachers yet again on most EFL websites. Seems they just can't keep their current teachers from leaving..or running away! Rolling Eyes
billy orr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absence of recent negative comments suggests that Zirve has overcome its earlier problems.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met some of Zirve's teachers actually.
First the pros: Zirve has high standards and generally only hires MA holders, often hires from abroad, and always does all the proper paperwork and I was told that they have the highest ESL pay rate in Turkey.

The complaints are as follows:
1. The college students are poorly behaved, acting like high school students, and the actual high school students (during summer months) are worse.
2. Housing (which is private accommodation with partial kitchen and full bath) is provided in an apartment building with students, which make for noisy nights and messy hallways.
3. While teaching hours are standard (20-25/week), teachers are expected to be in their offices from 8-5, making for long days. This is added to by the commute; the school being in the middle of nowhere.
4. Gaziantep is a dull city, which gets too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. (I don't fully agree with this, but it's a very common complaint.)

Personally, while I haven't worked there I'd be willing to if they offered me a job. I get the impression that a lot of these teachers are MA holders with experience in the Gulf, and are measuring it by the standards of the United Arab Emirates or Bahrain.

Regards,
~Q
montague

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for replying. I haven't heard anything that I can't live with and since I don't have any other offers at the moment, I will hope for the best and take their offer. Worst case scenario=eleven months of pain.
tsaf kaerb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yet another teacher is jumping into a horrible contract.

All the negative comments that were written about Zirve were "mysteriously" deleted from eslcafe so if you're measuring any "improvements" by the lack of negative posts then you are sorely mistaken.

It's too bad, but esllist is currently rebuilding its site so you can't see the continuation of negative posts about Zirve (that didn't get mysteriously deleted thanks to esllists integrity).

Don't know any teachers who taught at Zirve who also taught at a school in the UAE so I'm not sure what Q is going on about; what I DO know is 1) Q stated that he/she actually hasn't taught at Zirve. 2) Q is writing several lines about a school he/she's never been to. 3) and about information he/she's getting from a few teachers he/she's met.

Enjoy Turkey and enjoy teaching by going somewhere else. If you've already signed a piece of paper and sent it digitally to Zirve be careful because they can use these digital copies to submit work permits or sign other legal documents without you knowing about it.

if you're upset about other teachers not posting specific details it's because we're all fed-up with "new teachers" who receive paragraph-long explanations as to why they should not accept a contract with Zirve and then the teacher DOES accept the contract and then cries about it later.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsaf kaerb wrote:

Don't know any teachers who taught at Zirve who also taught at a school in the UAE so I'm not sure what Q is going on about; what I DO know is 1) Q stated that he/she actually hasn't taught at Zirve. 2) Q is writing several lines about a school he/she's never been to. 3) and about information he/she's getting from a few teachers he/she's met.

I honestly don't know where these teachers taught previously (except for one who taught in his home country), but I do know that they're all MA holders with several years' previous experience who could get far better paying jobs outside of Turkey, and jobs that pay almost as much in far nicer parts of the country.

Points 1 and 3 are true, however I have in fact been to Zirve University. I'm in the area and when I saw the advertisement I decided to see it in person. This information came from four teachers I spoke to on the shuttle bus and they employ 30, so it's not fully representative, but it's not unrepresentative either.

I do recall one person going on here about how awful Zirve was, and to PM them for details. When I did they went on about how awful Gaziantep is. This is something I hear a lot. Personally I like Gaziantep, but then I'm a rather dull person, and despite being a young, irreligious, social liberal, I am temperamentally conservative and old before my time.

I should also note that since posting that I discovered this, which indicates that Zirve is either homophobic or believes their students are, however even that admits that Zirve is professional, reliable, and a good gig if you can get it and don't mind Gaziantep. (Personally I'm very pro-equality, however I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see that kind of behavior in the American South or Midwest or even Buddhist East Asia and am not going to hold the more conservative parts of a country where you can't legally buy bacon to the same standards of the developed world.)

~Q
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would prefer the more western locales of Turkey such as Izmir or Istanbul. I don't think a very conservative area would be my cup of Turkish tea. The main thing is to be at a place of employment that has very good reviews, and it doesn't seem to have many good reviews, IMHO; that cannot be ignored.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: