Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From China to Europe - worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainthood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: From China to Europe - worth it? Reply with quote

Hey gang!

I is wondering if I ought to up sticks and move to Europe - or if it's really not worth it in this climate.

I'm seeing the pays, and thinking how low they are - especially compared to living conditions... esp since I'm used to living the high life in China... where I can get 2-3000Euro (equivalent - or so)... but I'm over some of the crap having to live here Sad

Is it worth coming to live and work in Europe? Or am I much better off just doing it as a holiday???

(FTR - Aussie citizen, CELTA, MA, Certified IELTS examiner, Cert in IT, university teaching experience - incl IELTS prep, BEC, IT English).

Also, I'm looking at another Master's degree, this time in Education (TESOL) - partly for the relevance, partly to allow me into a doctorate program - and would that make much difference anyway??)
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a (very) few jobs in Western Europe that pay 2,000+ BUT as an Australian citizen, you aren't really eligible regardless of qualifications. There are quite a few UK teachers out there who pose zero hassles to an employer as regards getting a work visa - non EU citizens are a considerable paperwork hassle. Lots of MAs around on the market for university positions. The last time 'our' uni advertised a position, we got 50+ CVs and at least 20 were really well-qualified.

With a non-EU passport and an unrelated MA, you're just not really going to land one of the very few decently paid jobs here, particularly given that you have the 'wrong' passport (I'm assuming you have 'only' Australian citizenship, right?).

Private language schools pay subsistence level, and again, without a passport from an EU member country, you're not legally eligible for Western Europe anyway.

In Central Europe, where you COULD get a work permit, even university positions don't pay anywhere near what you're talking about.

Russia, I don't know. Maybe post on the Russia board if you're interested.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will starve in Europe as an EFLer. Stay in China where at leasst you still have your "Iron Rice Bowl".
sainthood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that's what I was figuring...

I was more interested in whether getting a doctorate would be worth it, and whether there's enough work (with enough pay) to live as an IELTS examiner while I travel.

FTR again - current MA is related - Applied Linguistics. And, as an Aussie, I'm allowed to work in the Schengen zone while I'm there for 3 months Smile - so no paperwork (except for longer gigs, obviously...)
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can work for the duration of your 90 day tourist visa (though you technically aren't legal to work, only to be there as a tourist, so you're vulnerable to exploitation by the few employers who would hire you on such a basis). But what kind of decently-paid gig do you expect to get for 90 days only??

Keep in mind that as of January 01, 2009, to re-start your 90 day tourist visa you have to leave the entire Schengen zone for 90 days - a simple border crossing no longer suffices to re-start your 90 days. Google Schengen zone if you're not familiar.

Yes, IELTS examiners are employed here - but there are lots of them around. Most people that I know who do the job (and I personally know about a dozen) do it as an occasional evening/weekend gig to earn some extra dosh. It's not going to support anyone.

Frankly, there are also lots of MA-qualified teachers around as well. The most recent post advertised by the uni where I work attracted more than 20 candidates with related MA. A doctorate would be great, but still, given the ratio of Phd candidates who don't need work visas to the job openings, if your major goal is to use a doctorate to get into Europe on an exceptional visa, it's a huge long-shot, unless you've got local contacts willing to jump through the legal hoops on your behalf.
piglet44

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sainthood I was also wondering about moving from China to Europe but frankly we have such a cushy number in Zhonguo with apartments and air fare and all I am not sure I can afford it even tho I am UK passport.. don't know where to go anyway Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: