Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Salary in the GCC outside of Saudi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Best Salary in the GCC outside of Saudi? Reply with quote

Hoping to gather information from the pool of experienced teachers here who've worked in the gulf, I want to hear everyone's thoughts on which gulf country they think offers the highest salaries.

Disregarding quality of life, entertainment outlets, etc, which is the best country to pursue employment if your only goal is to bank lots and lots of money? Saudi is not an option (I hate that place). Any other GCC nation is a viable option.

Thanks in advance to all who answer.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear madrileno,

To answer this with any accuracy, posters will need more info from you: qualifications, experience, family status, lifestyle, etc.

" . . . lots and lots of money" - I think you chose the wrong occupation Very Happy .

Regards,
John
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
" . . . lots and lots of money" - I think you chose the wrong occupation Very Happy .

Ha ha, yeah. I'm aware that esl is not nearly as lucrative as it once was.

My current credentials are four years' university teaching experience, a BA, and TEFL certification. I'm hopefully starting my MA in TEFL this autumn, and will have it in one year (Autumn, 2013). I'm also considering getting a PGCE alongside, or after my MA so I have the option of teaching K-12 instead of University.

I'm single and childless, so I'm very flexible and can work wherever.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you actually in "Oman" as you ID says... or were you there?

First, finish the MA... until you have that in hand, there are no "high pay jobs" outside of Saudi (and few of those these days).

Once you finish the MA and polish your CV... emphasizing all of your experience teaching Academic English to Arabic speakers... even though these years were before your MA...

The answer to the highest pay is

The UAE...

And good luck, since the competition for these jobs means that those with 10+ years in the Gulf after the MA get most of them.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In KSA the highest pay often comes with the highest stress. I knew many who were in jobs at places like BAE Systems, Raytheon or Lockheed. They were not the hapoiest bunnies in the burrow !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: