Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American University of Afghanistan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babur

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: American University of Afghanistan Reply with quote

American University of Afghanistan

Quote:
-To plan, prepare and deliver up to 20 hours per week of instruction in academic English language, communication, study skills, and culture.

-Classes are taught at various NGOs, AUAF campus, Ministries, Embassies, and other organizations as necessary.

-Use various materials to take in consideration of the different individual learning styles and to provide an environment conducive to learning and relevant to young learners, corporate and professional, workplace and examination-oriented populations (TOEFL and GRE).

-Classes are conducted between 7:30 AM and 8:00 PM within a five-day workweek (Sunday through Thursday), but unforeseen conditions may require some modification of work schedules, including Saturday classes, as deemed necessary. The month of Ramadan will involve some modification of work schedules.

-Collaboration with colleagues on special projects, as assigned.
-Engage in the academic life of AUAF by participating in campus committees.

-Other duties, as may be assigned.

Don't even think about it!

What they won't tell you about:

You'll have to put up with cramped, shared (5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen) accommodation.

You'll only be allowed to shop at overpriced western supermarkets at prearranged times with an armed escourt.

There's no paid holiday on USAID sponsored projects.

You'll be working alongside locally hired staff earning a fraction of your salary.

You're really just another cog in the wheel in America's master plan to make sure Afghanistan's education system sticks to the (=their) rules

Last edited by babur on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
2buckets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in Afghanistan pre-soviet days, when the King, (Zahir Shah), was still in power. Once you got past the dysentery, (amoebic or bacilli, take your pick), cholera, malaria and various other unidentifiable ailments, it wasn't too bad. The students were highly motivated, even after walking miles without shoes to the school. No supplies other than a hand held chalk board for me, and the students did their work in the sand with a stick. Books were there, but couldn't be distributed because of fear of the students selling them in the bazaar.

[b]MOD EDIT
[/b]
The compensation would have to be very high for me to consider it now though.
Van Gogh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an interview for AUA in Dubai a year or so ago. Two old (60+) hippy looking dames dressed in beads, bangles and lots of rouge did the interview.
- Now, M. Do you suffer from any respiratory problems?
- No.
- Well you will do after 6 months in Kabul.... peels of laughter!

I didn�t get or want the job.
Steinmann

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:

...but you would consider it, though, right?

MOD EDIT

Sooooo...what's the job pay?
babur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: from an auaf student's point of view Reply with quote

Kabul through the eyes of a student at auaf:
Quote:
http://www.aamozgar.org/cause-air-pollution-in-kabul-city-2

Kabul sits in a hollow. Most people suffer with the air. You need to take regular trips out of town. Best to stay away from the new hotel beside the lake for a while
Quote:
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2012/06/2012621223821763757.html

until things calm down. They always do.
WanderMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: So whats the pay? Reply with quote

Steinmann wrote:
2buckets wrote:

...but you would consider it, though, right?

MOD EDIT

I 2nd this! I have been trying to find out how much Afghanistan pays for a long time. I have heard the pay is even higher than Saudi Arabia. How much do you make?
madrileno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm curious about this, too. All my research online turned up multiple ads for TEFL in Afghanistan and Kabul, but none of them mention a specific salary.

A coworker told me of one of their friends who took a job in Iraq a few years back (during the height of the US occupation) and they were making nearly 10K/mo teaching English to Iraqis training for officer positions in the new army. Also, the job was hardly dangerous as they were essentially quarantined in the Green Zone. They never got to leave, but at least they were safe at all times...

I checked and these jobs no longer exist.
nfig77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AUA is currently offering $4000/mo for what looks like 40 or more hours/wk. Some might go for the "adventure" aspect, but my guess is you'd be wise to keep a real low profile for at least the first few months. It's a job though, and the students would likely be fairly motivated. Your call, but the salary seems a little light, all things considered.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afghanistan at $4,000/Month no thanks! The country is still a war zone, heavily mined/suicide bombings in Kabul and with the Taliban everywhere. $8,000 per month + life insurance is more realistic and still low pay. Shocked
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Afghanistan at $4,000/Month no thanks! The country is still a war zone, heavily mined/suicide bombings in Kabul and with the Taliban everywhere. $8,000 per month + life insurance is more realistic and still low pay.

Seriously, that $4000/mo. reflects instructors teaching and living in secure locations and not seasoned security contractors risking their lives to provide protection within volatile areas of the country. Even soldiers of foreign governments, including the US military, don't receive a high level of pay. Plus, Afghanistan is not some oil-rich country nor is AUAF rolling in money.
das31

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put that $4000 uni salary in perspective, I was offered $1700 per month to teach in an international school.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like $1500 a month seems to be the standard pay in the entire region for "International Schools". I can guarantee you the "International School" is not accredited by any organization in the West although the proprieters will insist that they use IB materials etc. An accredited International School would pay a lot more and require licensing and years of experience in K12 in your home country.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
An accredited International School would pay a lot more...

Not likely if that school is located in Afghanistan, which isn't considered part of the oil-rich GCC. In fact, the country's private and public schools rely heavily on the support of NGOs and private donors.
returnee2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I could handle that for six months, except for the part about the respiratory illness.
danmbob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone worked there recently?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: