Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wearing Gold in Turkey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
La Reve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Wearing Gold in Turkey Reply with quote

In the Gulf countries (Middle East), it's common for women to safely wear gold necklaces, rings, etc. A friend said it's also safe and common in Turkey. I'm just looking for a bit more reassurance.

Thanks.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in heck would be unsafe or uncommon about that?
Gold jewelry is pretty ubiquitous.
La Reve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Wearing Gold in Turkey Reply with quote

In some South American countries, a woman can be walking down the street and a man can come up to her, put a knife in her back, and demand her jewelry.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, that can happen in a US city as well, but it's fairly rare and random. I'm still curious what huge culturally-based trend would prevent a woman from wearing gold in Turkey.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the country wearing my gold jewelry and never imagined I could be in danger Shocked Rolling Eyes
lucia79

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been warned about wearing gold as well. Confused Happily I can say I never had a problem with gold, silver, pearls....
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban myth?
La Reve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Wearing Gold in Turkey Reply with quote

Not all countries are alike. Being safe in a foreign country is important, so I like to do my research.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an issue at all, as far as I remember. However, I have been warned by my Turkish friends about travelling around the US, given the huge amount of random gun-crime there.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
It's not an issue at all, as far as I remember. However, I have been warned by my Turkish friends about travelling around the US, given the huge amount of random gun-crime there.

Yes, many Turks are just as ignorant about the US as your average American is about the TC.

That said, I was warned in Izmir not to use my Samsung tablet because it looks a bit like an Apple product an therefore I might get mugged by the mafia. The Turkish guy who was warning me was clearly insane (in a horror movie he'd be the old guy who warns me not to enter the abandoned house), but some of the Britons there also insisted that openly using expensive (by Turkish standards) technology is begging for a mugging. So it's not just Americans who believe Turkey to be a dangerous place. Personally the only place I'd be even remotely worried about getting mugged in Turkey is Istanbul.

~Q
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caution needs to be exercised everywhere. Common sense rules. But worrying about being 'mugged by the mafia' is taking things a little too far. Street urchins after dark, yes. Wearing a gold necklace going about your business during normal hours, no.

Tablets, I do not know. Hate the damned things. Grrr!
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wearing a gold chain or necklace is no problem in Turkey. Actually I wear a golden ID braclet openly on my wrist and a silver coated wristwatch and have never ever been robbed here or shot at. Now try going to North America and wearing this...you would either be mugged or arrested or at worse shot at! Anything of value should never be worn there...especially iin the US where violence is golden! Shocked
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

I think staying at home and bolting the doors to your underground bunker is probably the safest option. Wear all the gold you want then. In fact my bunker is constructed of gold to keep out enemy radar scanning beams.
lucia79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Urban myth?
Yes, I think so.

@Q- I know a couple of people who were victims of attempted muggings in Istanbul, but they fought back. And the muggers weren't after gold, it was their expensive phones and other paraphernalia.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle Eyes wrote:
Wearing a gold chain or necklace is no problem in Turkey. Actually I wear a golden ID braclet openly on my wrist and a silver coated wristwatch and have never ever been robbed here or shot at. Now try going to North America and wearing this...you would either be mugged or arrested or at worse shot at! Anything of value should never be worn there...especially iin the US where violence is golden! Shocked

Eagle Eyes:
I've been mugged three times as many times* in your home country (wherever that is) as I have in Turkey and the United States combined. Razz

~Q

*3 � 0 = 0
thesuitthatdidnt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: common sense applies as with most things Reply with quote

Well, are you new to travel, sounds like it.

Alas, common sense should prevail when entering
any new environment or country.

Dress modest, behave perhaps a bit more conservatively than
you normally do.

After being somewhere for a month or two..
then do as the 'locals do'...or do as the long term expats do...

That being said, remember that you are an outsider and the 'rules' don't apply to you. They will be harsher with you and you will be made an example of should you wish to go so far as break laws and so on.

When in Rome....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: