Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turkish Customs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
La Reve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Turkish Customs Reply with quote

I'm entering Turkey on a legal university work visa.... Do I have to pay taxes on my household goods: books, clothes, DVDs, my own oil paintings, recliner chair, etc.? (NOT lots of furniture, more likely 'stuff'.)
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to declare any of that if it's in your luggage except possibly the chair (which wouldn't fit in your luggage anyways).

Anything with a value over a certain amount (I think it's 200 lira), you have to declare, though not necessarily pay customs. I don't know the exact details, but I do know that I tried to ship a small package with a value less than that amount, and when customs decided they wanted to open it the Turkish FedEx affiliate wanted 150 lira to give them power of attorney for them to handle it, and wouldn't let me handle it myself. Since the value of everything in the package was about 40 dollars I ended up abandoning it, figuring that what I can't replace in Turkey I can do without. (I ended up replacing all of it for about 70 lira here.)

It might be worth it if you're shipping a lot, like in a crate, but I'd discuss this with your shipping company in advance.

Regards,
~Q
La Reve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Turkish Customs Reply with quote

No, Q, I'm not just bringing in two suitcases. I stored all my 'stuff' for 14 years while teaching overseas and have been living with it all since 2005. It does provide a sense of relaxation: writings from earlier (tried to put most on computer); my own oil paintings, CDs, DVDs, rugs, office supplies, etc. Stuff that when you constantly have to shop for in a new country is stressful to find, and becomes costly, no matter where you move.

I'm older and closer to retirement age, which, eventually, I hope to retire in a warmer part of Turkey, so my stuff involves a mover, customs, etc.

I am leaving behind bookcases, an exercise bike and TV, so it's not like EVERYTHING is coming.

Did you ever try and find black-out curtains? I need them for the bedroom since I'm sensitive to light. I'm bringing my own. And I like living with my oil paintings and want to fill up the blank canvasses I have.

So, do you think the Turkish authorities are going to confiscate everything? Or charge me thousands of dollars?
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful how many dollars you bring into Turkey..you will have to declare it at customs...if it is over $10,000 in currency you will have to declare it or it might be taken away from you! Shocked
La Reve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Turkish Customs Reply with quote

Dollars in currency..... I doubt I'll have $10,000 but if I'm lucky, can I bring $10,000 in a cashier's check - not cash?
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Turkish Customs Reply with quote

La Reve wrote:
No, Q, I'm not just bringing in two suitcases. I stored all my 'stuff' for 14 years while teaching overseas and have been living with it all since 2005. It does provide a sense of relaxation: writings from earlier (tried to put most on computer); my own oil paintings, CDs, DVDs, rugs, office supplies, etc. Stuff that when you constantly have to shop for in a new country is stressful to find, and becomes costly, no matter where you move.

I'm older and closer to retirement age, which, eventually, I hope to retire in a warmer part of Turkey, so my stuff involves a mover, customs, etc.

I am leaving behind bookcases, an exercise bike and TV, so it's not like EVERYTHING is coming.

Did you ever try and find black-out curtains? I need them for the bedroom since I'm sensitive to light. I'm bringing my own. And I like living with my oil paintings and want to fill up the blank canvasses I have.

So, do you think the Turkish authorities are going to confiscate everything? Or charge me thousands of dollars?

I haven't tried to find black-out curtains, though they would be nice to have. I don't think I've ever been to a hotel here that's completely dark at night. In some ways Turkey is still clearly a developing country. I haven't even been able to find washcloths.

I seriously doubt they'll confiscate any of that stuff, or charge you thousands of dollars, but it's good to know ahead of time.

I'd really suggest talking to the shipping company. I get the impression you're moving from Korea? The larger post offices there generally have someone who speaks fluent English in my experience. Ask about crating it, and ask what they know about Turkey. You might also try contacting the Turkish consulate in your home country.

Sorry I can't be more help,
~Q
La Reve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Turkish Customs Reply with quote

Q, since you've been so wonderful answering my many questions, perhaps I can offer you one of my black out curtains. I bought the material, then took another year before having them made, and I don't use all of them.

I'm in Oman..... and just trying to ship things from here - without an address in Turkey, and living in a remote place where I can't hire packers, then having to estimate how much stuff weighs.... but I think I have it under control now.

The wonderful thing - whoops, can't remember if it was Taiwan or Korea now - but the post office would have huge pieces of cardboard and would literally take what was to be mailed and before your eyes, cut up the cardboard and package the stuff for mailing! It's pretty amazing how some differences are wonderful in different countries.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Reve: I appreciate the offer, but at the moment I'm living in a hotel and wouldn't have a place to hang them. I'm not sure where I'll be working yet, though I'm in talks with a couple places.

Thanks and regards,
~Q
Yogita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Customs Reply with quote

La Reve once everything fits in your suitcases you'll be fine. You may have to pay for extra weight & the furniture. When I came through last I had some food stuff like; curry, spices, scotch bonnet plant seeds, home-made pickled stuff & my friend came with her dog & child plus a car-seat & stroller.

We just landed, got our luggage, got stamped & was outside on our way to get a cab. The dog had a health certificate & was considered as checked in luggage, so she just got him & we left. I'm honestly telling you don't be scared you can bring in anything expect weapons, drugs & meat of course. Just check-in everything.

safe trip!
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be extremely careful when bringing money into Turkey..you maybe interrogated if it is over $10,000 in currency. Also you may have to hand it over to customs if they suspect you are money laundering! Shocked
Yogita

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Reve are you in Turkey yet?
If not, has anyone else noticed that when the plane lands, all the Turkish people start clapping? LOL Laughing it's the funniest thing ever.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russians clap too. If you look at a country's safety record, you might see the point of it.
Yogita

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^oh my I didn't know that. The first time it happened I was totally caught off guard with this loud roaring round of applause. It was so funny Mr. Green
sixthchild

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly you need to travel THY more often!!
Yogita

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ clearly lol ... most of my travels have been South America, the Caribbean & UK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: