Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AISA school..any insights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawnskalinski

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: AISA school..any insights? Reply with quote

Hey all..we are a teaching couple with 5 years experience and looking to move to UAE (or Kuwait) to teach. #1) Anyone have an opinion as to what country they would prefer to work in? #2) Anyone have any insight into what AISA is like? They have offered a package that includes 27 000 USD/per year (each), plus 2 bedroom apartment for the both of us, plus airticket and moving allowance etc... Our main concern is, will we be able to save money on this salary? What is cost of living like in UAE (and compared to Kuwait).

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Shawn
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are providing you with housing and tickets... how could you possibly spend that much money?? Shocked All you have to pay for is food and entertainment!! (and buy a car, of course)

I would say that at the very least you should be able to save at least one full salary. If you mostly eat at home and are not heavy partier/boozers, you could save much of the other.

Definitely the UAE over Kuwait...

Never heard of AISA... (do check it out carefully... try to correspond with both current and past teachers if you can)

VS
shawnskalinski

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey..thanks for the reply. AISA is the American International School in Abu Dhabi. No, we're not big partyers, we're trying to pay off some loans from back home and save up for future. Thanks for the information.

Shawn
lynnknows

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for AISA and I used to live in Kuwait. I found Abu Dhabi alot better than Kuwait. I am able to save more money here and I am single with 3 children. I was not able to do that in Kuwait.

The school is startign the PYP program and it seems to be alot of work. I know for me it sometimes seems to be a bit overwhelming. I love the admin. Walther is very fair and is a good person to go to when you just dont know what to do.

Good luck to noth of you. I hope you enjoy the school and see you next year.
Jsah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been offered a job at AISA as well. I wonder how it's working out for you. I'm single, and I'll be getting 28 000USD...would that be enough to save?
Thanks!
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends of mine who worked for AISA were quite happy. $28,000: That salary is do-able if you come w/o debt and have all of your housing covered. You could afford a 2nd hand car, a nice holiday each year, etc. That said, if you like the drink then it will be easy to spend. If you're frugal, I would say you could save on that salary, but it all depends on what sort of life you choose to live and how much you want to save.
missieUAE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone would like to provide any further comments on AISA (seeing as this is an old thread) I'm all ears. Very Happy
Sunburnt Individual

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed with them last year but didn't get the job. I was very impressed with them though, and they were my first choice. I liked that they send a salary schedule that was based on experience and qualifications. The directors that I spoke with were very professional and I felt very comfortable with them.

The director even called me to personally thank me for applying and tell me why they went with another other person. After that, he forwarded my CV to other schools in the ESOL system. They were very considerate and I'd still consider working for them.
megandadam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wife and i accepted positions at AISA this fall....anything new to report about them?
seems like a great school, competitive salaries comparable to north america...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the school that the embassy kids attend... just curious? If it is, all should be well. Most teachers are traveling now on summer leave, so you may not get a good response. I know mishmumkin is on the road and she would have an answer if she were around.

The salaries are extremely comparable to NA... if NA also gave you a free apartment to live in and you didn't have to pay taxes. Laughing I was able to save about 3 times the money over a contract in the Gulf than I could in the US. Cool

VS
Gus Barkley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious. $28,000 seems low so I'll try to do the math. $28,000 = Dh 102,900 per year.

Since salaries here are quoted monthly instead of annually:
$28000 / 12 = $2333.33 per month
Dh 102,900 / 12 months = Dh 8575 per month

A salary under Dh 10,000 seems low. Is this the going rate for English teachers in the primary school system? I thought ADEC teachers were making more than twice this? (And they still had over 50% attrition - which probably says something about how bad it was.)

Can a person save on this income. Sure. A couple with both making it would be in better shape, of course, but the numbers still seem low to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: