Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2800 Turkish Lira a month in Ankara...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomatis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: 2800 Turkish Lira a month in Ankara... Reply with quote

...and I pay for my own accommodation. Good, bad or indifferent offer?

Last edited by Tomatis on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's mediocre to decent, depending on how much experience you have and how much you like the school. A guy who was trying to persuade me it's a good place to live when I visited claimed that he rented a house with his family for 600 lira/month, and that you can rent a decent apartment for 300. Don't know about the truth in that but it seems plausible, though you'd have to take into account furnishing, deposits, emlak, fees etc. (I.e. there's always a substantial startup cost to getting settled here, so make sure you want to stay there.)

Regards,
~Q
Yogita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good offer, not too bad. I've come across some schools offering more though. It would all depend on the workload, type of school & location.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent offer...you can save quite a lot of money in Ankara on this...Good luck! Smile
sixthchild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see, working in the capital city, 2,800 a month, you have to pay for your accomdation, food, transport, leisure, utility bills, have a holiday and maybe even save something for a rainy day. Don't forget it gets cold in Ankara, hope you got a good heating system!

Don't really see how some people think that is a good salary, bearing in mind your initial start up costs, hope you brought up some cash, you will need at least 3-5 grand for starters!

Personally I couldn't get by without a car!
parnett

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Ankara for 8 months and loved it. I was in my early 50's, so nightlife wasn't important.
My apartment was in Gaziosmanpasa which is one of the nicest parts in Ankara. My apartment was $700/ month- three bedrooms and completely furnished. I paid the building manager 200 TL/ month for heat, water and electricity. I was fortunate in that I made a lot of money (more than 4000 TL/ month), but I worked 80 hours a week (I was the head teacher in a language school).
I used to enjoy the walks around the area I lived in. Some of the embassy buildings were amazing. It's true that Ankara is in the middle of nowhere, and there isn't much to do, but it's certainly better than many places in Turkey.
sedaa91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on where it is ankara.. you can find a nice apt in dikmen/ayranci area for like 650ish. But if you are going to be living near the school (depending on the location) the price would increase. Plus, you would have utilities, food and transportation (unless transportation is provided)
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks, but at the risk of pushing someones nose out of joint, this is not enough, Turkey is nowhere near as cheap as it used to be. If you take this job at this rate you are gonna need to find away to supplement your income, like taking private lessons.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixthchild wrote:
Sorry folks, but at the risk of pushing someones nose out of joint, this is not enough, Turkey is nowhere near as cheap as it used to be. If you take this job at this rate you are gonna need to find away to supplement your income, like taking private lessons.

You're in Izmir, aren't you?
I could spend less than 2800 lira/month in Izmir living in a hotel and eating out every night. I imagine Ankara isn't much more expensive.

I haven't seen a job in Turkey that pays more than 1800 dollars (about 3,250 lira) and most are in the 1000-1200 dollar range. (1800-2200 lira.) While I wouldn't recommend taking a job that's at the low end of the range, unless the OP has an MA or home country teaching cert and lots of experience, they're probably not going to do better than 2800 lira.

~Q
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Q

Yes Izmir is my city, its not a cheap place and no doubt most people could live in a hotel and go out every night for a month on 2800 tl, however there is a hella of a lot more to living in a country than the rosy picture you paint. You can exist on that amount, millions of people live on a pittance that wouldn't pay your utilities bills for a month. But who wants to live like that?
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixthchild:
Izmir is the cheapest city I've been to in Turkey, at least in Konak. (I understand Karsiyaka is a bit more expensive.)

2800 isn't a "pittance." Though as I said, if the OP has home-country ed quals + experience and wants to teach in the schools, or an MA + post-MA experience and wants to teach at uni, they can probably do better.

But speaking as someone with the basic minimum (degree, TESOL, year experience) who's been here for awhile, the best offer I've ever gotten is 2700 lira, including allowances, and that's in Gaziantep where wages for FTs are the highest in Turkey. Best non-Gaziantep offer I had was 2250 including allowances in Istanbul. (I'm odd in that all things being equal I'd prefer to work in Antep over Stambul.)

Unfortunately it seems like even as Turkey's economy booms, wages are going down while costs and hours are going up, and Turkey today definitely isn't a great place to save money. (Rationally or not, I blame the closing of the EU and consequent outflux of non-EU backpackers into Turkey. There was a Turkish teacher at one school who flat-out told me, off the record, that the school would prefer to hire backpackers because all they need is a native speaker for advertising purposes and backpackers don't care about terms, conditions, or legality.)

You've been in Turkey for 14 years, and though you don't say what you get paid or what your quals are, I imagine if you were just starting out in this country you wouldn't get nearly what you're getting now.

Personally I'm in Turkey because I want to become fluent in Turkish before going home and doing grad school. If I wanted to make a career out of TESOL, I'd go to East Asia.

Regards,
~Q
sixthchild

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Q, a few fair comments there!
I would argue that Izmir is not the cheapest, I have visited a few and Izmir as the third city ain't cheap! I don't believe that I described 2800 tl as a pittance, but the OP was refering to Ankara and my view was that to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle (which every professional wannabe should aspire to) he or she may have to consider other ways to supplement thier income.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: