Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caribbean girl in Turkey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yogita

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone live near Hatay / Antioch?

I don't know a soul here Sad
sixthchild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

To be fair this is not the most well travelled area as far as foreign teachers are concerned. Never been there myself so cannot really speak from experience about the place, just the teaching environment you may find yourself in when the baloon goes up. Do you have any idea about the age groups you may be teaching? How they react to you may be a reflection of their age, think mega immaturity, the average Turkish university student is on a par with young teenager in other countries on an emotional/maturity level, so the younger they are the worse it gets! GOOD LUCK!!
A word to the wise, as the only native speaker, you can expect to be put upon, lots of parents might very well start clamouring for your attention on their kids, you know 2 hours a week 15 classes that kind of stuff, learn to smile your sweetest smile and refuse, otherwise they will burn you out before the first semester is over.
Above all have fun!
Yogita

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixthchild Hatay is a small city. I went for only 2 days I noticed it was multi ethnic; Turks, Arabs, Persians, Syrians, Jews, lots of people speak Hebrew & Arabic there. There was also some very old Victorian looking buildings & the architecture was very interesting. I'll be teaching the young learners k-6, lucky me I get all the gremlins lol Mr. Green but I seem to do well with kids so I'll keep you updated on what happens.

I'm not the only native speaker, there's 3 of us. Me; Miss Caribbean, An American & a British teacher. Thanks for the heads up Cool
sixthchild

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are more than welcome, 6th graders can be little treasures when they want to be!!!! Sometimes not, just mother them, its what they are used to and expect it from their teachers.
At least you will have other western females to keep you company!
Yogita

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ most kids need a lot of attention. If you're an aloof teacher & cold towards them they usually don't learn. Teaching kids comes with some parenting; you have to be warm, caring & make sure they're comfortable communicating with you. You're right this approach will make the job easier, I've noticed that as well. Are you in teaching in turkey, where are you?
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Izmir, been doing this for about 14 years! So I would like to think I know a little about what I'm doing!
Yogita

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixthchild yes 14 yrs is a lot of experience Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: