Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tourist visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etoile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Tourist visa Reply with quote

Hi All,

I flew into Mexico City yesterday and on my immigration card I wrote that I intend to stay for 180 days as this is the maximum on a tourist visa and it gives me plenty of time to get sorted and find a job.

When I handed my form in at immigration the lady looked at it and asked if i was a tourist, I said yes and then she confirmed that I was looking to stay for 180 days. Then she went off to check with her colleague, came back, stamped my passport without saying anything and sent me on my way. Later on when I checked my passport I saw it has a date 'Oct 28 2012' stamped on it. So I guess that means I only have 3 months?? Is there anyway I can change this?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tourist visa Reply with quote

etoile wrote:
Hi All,

I flew into Mexico City yesterday and on my immigration card I wrote that I intend to stay for 180 days as this is the maximum on a tourist visa and it gives me plenty of time to get sorted and find a job.

When I handed my form in at immigration the lady looked at it and asked if i was a tourist, I said yes and then she confirmed that I was looking to stay for 180 days. Then she went off to check with her colleague, came back, stamped my passport without saying anything and sent me on my way. Later on when I checked my passport I saw it has a date 'Oct 28 2012' stamped on it. So I guess that means I only have 3 months?? Is there anyway I can change this?

They are supposed to stamp your passport with the date you arrive, not for a departure date. Same for the tourist visa. In fact, it sounds like you just got yourself an extra 3 months stay, if you count the 180 days from Oct. 28th instead of your actual arrival.

If you intend to get a work visa within 6 months, then I don't think it makes a difference anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
etoile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy,

All I got was a stamp on my passport with the date I arrived and also the date in October which I just presume is my leaving date?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen them stamp a departure date. I should think that as long as you hold that tourist visa that says 180 days then you're fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
etoile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get anything else so I don't have a visa as such. It's a bit confusing to me, I should be entitled to stay in the country for 180 days as a tourist without a visa but I don't know why she stamped the Oct date on my passport.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you get and fill out an FMM when you entered Mexico? That's the tourist card that automatically lets you stay 180 days in the country.
etoile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're both right Smile I didn't realise but I do have a slip of paper (the FMM) that says 180 days. I'll keep it safe now! So you think it's ok to disregard the Oct date stamped on my passport? Thanks for your help.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure not to lose the paper. You'll turn it into migra when you apply for a work visa. They'll also ask for copies of the pages of your passport...I really don't think the Oct '12 date would be an issue as it must be a mistake and they should realize that if it comes up.
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have said on other threads, but what's your nationality? This may make a difference in some cases, as to length of permitted stay without a visa having been obtained before entry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: