Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Aruto Debito left Japan for good?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothypfox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Has Aruto Debito left Japan for good?! Reply with quote

Just curious!

This blogger refers to a Japan Times Article that mentions the following credit at the end:

Quote:
Debito Arudou is currently an affiliate scholar at the East-West Center in Honolulu. Send your comments and story ideas to [email protected]
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You become an "affiliate scholar" by buying a library card or some such thing. He'll be back. The program lets him use the library for 1-12 months, by paying $40 per month. Max time is one year.
http://www.eastwestcenter.org/education/student-programs/opportunities-for-study/affiliate-scholar-program/
timothypfox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see! Laughing That's good to hear.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debito formally renounced his American citizenship. Americans don't like that kid of thing. Roaming scholar, he may be, but I think he would face some hard questions if he attempted to settle in Hawai'i permanently.

While I'm on the subject, why does "tepido.org" exist? I mean, sure, he pisses some people off, but why this active campaign against him? What motivates these people?
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that he is a rather extreme activist pisses them off. His attitude of being in people's faces (be they the racist or discriminating ones, or anyone who feels D is going too far) pisses them off. His never backing down even when proven wrong pisses them off.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
The fact that he is a rather extreme activist pisses them off. His attitude of being in people's faces (be they the racist or discriminating ones, or anyone who feels D is going too far) pisses them off. His never backing down even when proven wrong pisses them off.
Sure ... I get why somebody would, say, write a blog post about why they find him objectionable. But tepido.org takes it to a whole new level. They're like a twisted fan club: they report on (and then trash) every detail of his life and work. How long have they kept this up? Months? Years?

In the words of Ace Ventura: obsessed much?
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, he became a Japanese citizen so he can say what he wants.
It is odd that he gets the most criticism from people who are not Japanese citizens, and he wants life to be better for non-Japanese in this country.

Last edited by mitsui on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
I don't understand this statement.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
mitsui wrote:
I don't understand this statement.

If you're not a citizen then your rights are more curtailed. You can't, for example, engage in political discussions or activities on a work or tourist visa. Granted, Jpns authorities seldom do much about the low end stuff, but they have been known to throw people out of the country for higher profile stuff. The annual dolphin kill and the protesters last year spring to mind. A couple of them were deported for, among other things, violating the conditions of their tourist visas.

Not as bad as the US and far less often applied, but Japanese citizenship does confer some extra rights that mere residence or other status doesn't give.
Inflames

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:

Not as bad as the US and far less often applied, but Japanese citizenship does confer some extra rights that mere residence or other status doesn't give.

The US doesn't prohibit "political discussions" by foreigners.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I say what I want, especially if I am critical of politics in Japan, it is inevitable that some Japanese will tell me that if I don`t like living here, why don`t I leave?

Debito gave up his citizenship to become Japanese, yet some foreigners tell him that if he doesn`t like Japan, he should leave. Leave and go where?
Inflames

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:

Debito gave up his citizenship to become Japanese, yet some foreigners tell him that if he doesn`t like Japan, he should leave. Leave and go where?

Debito didn't give up his citizenship to become Japanese - he gave it up several years after because of his own actions. The Japanese government didn't force him to (and, in fact, can't).
Nagoyaguy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sympathize with Debito a lot more than I do now. We are in the same boat, trying to raise kids bilingually and biculturally in Japan, etc.

However, that all changed when I dared to contradict the accepted wisdom on his blog. I was banned and labelled a "heartless dick". I was also accused of applying "poor social science" in my posts.

It told me a lot about how he conducts himself and how intolerant he is of any criticism. I understand why some people would want to take him down a few pegs.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflames wrote:
G Cthulhu wrote:

The US doesn't prohibit "political discussions" by foreigners.

Actually it does. But like Japan, it doesn't enforce the laws very often. It was made very plain to me by USCIS that any form of political activity in the US while a PR would result in my PR being cancelled and my being deported. Moreover, the Military Commissions Act allows for the indefinite detention without charge for any non-citizen that engages in political activity in the US against their visa status.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflames wrote:
Debito didn't give up his citizenship to become Japanese - he gave it up several years after because of his own actions. The Japanese government didn't force him to (and, in fact, can't).

I was under the impression that Japan does, in fact, require surrender of previous citizenship in order to obtain Japanese citizenship. After all, they don't allow dual citizens & taking up Jpns citizenship is one of the few instances where they can follow up on that requirement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: