Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working permit in Istanbul

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheffin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Working permit in Istanbul Reply with quote

Is it illegal to work in Istanbul for 4 months with only a resident permit?
Yogita

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A residency permit doesn't give permission to work. So yes it would be illegal. I had the same misconception too initially. Although a lot of teachers work in turkey without work permits.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially in Istanbul. My impression is that generally the majority of schools outside of Istanbul obtain work permits for their teachers, and the majority in Istanbul don't.

A lot of schools in Turkey, especially in Istanbul will tell you that they help you get a residency permit, but it's no difficulty to get an RP on your own and those schools are trying to mislead you. You need both a residency and work permit to work legally here.

~Q
parnett

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 13 years in Turkey and had a work permit a grand total of one time (in Gaziantep). I spent 3 years doing the border run deal every three months. The remainder of my time in Turkey I had a residence visa.
It is illegal, but the police simply ignore this. When a government inspector was due to visit, the school was warned, and foreign teachers were given a few hours off. Twice a government inspector's son was actually in my class.
I was never able to get a second work permit for some reason. It had something to do with the fact I had an M.A. but no teacher's license.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: