Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: ..... Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:15 am; edited 9 times in total
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax and adopt the Saudi Work Ethic !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully someone who has encountered this situation will show up...

My guess is that worst case would be a fine... and hopefully your employer will pay it.

VS
desert_traveller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. As long as your iqama is being processed by your company, and they can provide some sort of letter to confirm this, you are fine, even if your initial 90 days have expired. The only kink is that you can't leave the country during this 'transitional period'. Other than that, all is good.
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
tacomaboywa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Find a smarter company Reply with quote

nickelgoat wrote:
I hope that is true - because I wrote to ACS (American Citizen Services) and their take was that if I don't have the iqama by 8/13, I have to leave the Kingdom or face a overstay fine, unless my company can convince immigration to extend the visa.

My company is telling me this has to do with the new laws being implemented referred to as "Saudization" where there needs to be a certain number of Saudi workers among any company's workforce. My company is in the "yellow" range as there are a lot of south Asian workers doing things besides teaching, and a lot of non-Saudi Arab teachers.

Just never thought it would be so slow!

The process is often slow. Not because it is difficult, but because the ones running HR are often lazy. In the case of your company, they are not very smart. Most companies know how to get around the Saudization requirements and stay in the "Green". Most companies will make fake contracts for about 3,000 SR a month for their Saudi family members and friends. They will then pay them 1,000 - 1,500 a month to use their National ID number in the system. This will make them appear to employ enough Saudis to remain in the "Green".
threexband

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: No Iqama in 90 days ? Reply with quote

Who is your sponsor ? Speaking from experience, you will get little to no assistance from the Consulate. The Iqama process takes a week to ten days not months ! And "No" a letter from your company explaining that your passport/Iqama is in process is not sufficient- this nonsense will not be accepted at hospitals, banks, or any other legitimate institution. Again- who is doing this to you ? It sounds like they have "confiscated" your passport- illegal and a violation of your basic human rights... you are possibly on a common road of human trafficking here in KSA. remember, Saudi is a bottom tier nation in terms of human rights violations. You need to act quickly. Get back in touch with the US consulate and do not- repeat DO NOT let them ignore you. Be prepared to go to your US Senator and the US State Department if necessary- I have contacts there if needed. But first- who is doing this ?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost 90 days in-Kingdom, no iqama - worried! Reply with quote

nickelgoat wrote:
My situation: granted initial 90-day visa to enter Saudi Arabia on work contract. Entered May 16. Did 2nd physical here in KSA about two weeks later. Everything seemed OK. Submitted passport for iqama processing.

I'm just curious as to what type of visa you entered the country on. Also, are you direct hire or with a contracting company?
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickelgoat wrote:
I am a direct hire, working at a school in north Riyadh. My visa is a work visa, not a business or business-visit visa. It is valid 90 days. The 90th day since entry is August 13.

I finally insisted, in late June, that they take the passport and begin the processing. They did.

About two weeks ago, I asked the person at my company in charge of this task to tell me the progress. He started discussing "Saudization" and how it wasn't just my iqama, but those of several other non-Saudi workers that were being "delayed" by this new law and that there was nothing he could do to speed up the process.

Then he took my passport out of his desk and said that they only needed it "for the beginning of the process" and that I was entitled to have it back while waiting for the iqama. I still have it in my possession.

So what now?

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like you're on a 90-day temporary work visa. If so, your contract should indicate it's good for 90 days as well, which means your visa nost likely cannot be extended.

Anyway, I can only imagine your frustration. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you but suspect you'll end up having to leave the country. At least you have your passport in hand.
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:27 am; edited 2 times in total
al-Californian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Relax and adopt the Saudi Work Ethic !

Much easier said than done! How did you do it? Did it take you 20 years? Very Happy
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear al-Californian,

Depends on the individual. I went there an impatient, get things done far in advance kind of O/C sort of guy, and it took me about 5 or 6 years to adjust.

It certainly made living there a lot more tolerable.

Regards,
John

P.S. The "impatient" part has never come back, but now that I'm here in the States, I've returned to the "do things far in advance" mode.
al-Californian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear al-Californian,

Depends on the individual. I went there an impatient, get things done far in advance kind of O/C sort of guy, and it took me about 5 or 6 years to adjust.

It certainly made living there a lot more tolerable.

Regards,
John

P.S. The "impatient" part has never come back, but now that I'm here in the States, I've returned to the "do things far in advance" mode.

I don't like to procrastinate either, but I guess over there, things get done when it gets done, right? I'm laid back, but if I need to adjust to zombie level laid back mode, it's gonna take time. Heck, are they gonna jerk me around for not knowing how to get things done other than the American way?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear al-Californian,

No, they likely won't "jerk you around," but for a while, you may "jerk yourself around."

Example: You're told to get something done in five days. You think, "Hey, no problem - I can whip that out in two or three days."

So, you do. On the fourth or five day, after you've gotten everything done, you're told, " It's been decided to do it differently."

All your work is, of course, useless. Moral: put off doing anything until the last possible minute. Of course, even that won't save you all the time, but it'll eliminate lots of fruitless labor a lot of the time.

It was hard for me to get used to that; I like to get stuff done and over with. But I learned - the hard way, naturally - that's NOT a good work ethic there.

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: