Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IH Bielsko-Biala

View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertdunc

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: IH Bielsko-Biala Reply with quote

Anyone have information on this school? I've been offered a job paying around 2200Zl with accommodation paid for. Can you survive on this?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Selyer

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Survival Reply with quote

I work for one of IHBB's sister schools and I know that most of the teachers here, who were also first year teachers fresh off a CELTA course, have survived on less. (If they've offered you a job then you've probably seen the school policy and payscale and know what I'm talking about.)

Then again, I suppose it depends on your definition of "survival." How often do you want to eat out? Go out drinking? Travel? If you're not in a tower block, how warm do you want your flat to be in winter? Of course, with every job there's always that fantasy of being able to "save up" but let's face it...zloty don't go very far outside of Poland.

Just out of curiousity, are you going for general English, or something in their young learners department?

Selyer Cool
desertdunc

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Selyer, thanks for your reply. I have been working in Saudi Arabia for 3 years and have several years experience in Europe. So I suppose it's up tp me to negotiate a pay deal as far as possible.

They have offered me the post of residential teacher at their satellite school. I will be teaching a mixture of classes. Adults, children, general and exam.

I don't expect to save but would like to live comfortably after living in the wilderness.

I have asked to phone a teacher already there so will hopefully get some idea from them.

Dunc
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really worth working at IH schools if you have a few years' experience. IH is a good place to start off but they pay well below the going rate. Apparently the IH name on your CV and the training they offer is supposed to compensate you for the short comings in salary....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: