Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

salalah college?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: salalah college? Reply with quote

Posting this for an acquaintance:

I have an interview soon with Salalah College of Applied Sciences. The details:
Salary - R.O . 925
Housing Allowance - 250
Utilities Allowance - 30
Transportation Allowance 60
Travel Allowance- 700 for teachers from the Americas and Australia

Which I take to mean I'll need to find a place on my own. What does an average place partially furnished go for?

I have a MA in Teaching (English) with a BA in English with TESOL coursework. I'm certified to teach English (6-12) and ESL (K-12) in my home state in the US. I've taught for 9 years - almost all in ESL and most of it in Korea but also in a public high school in the US and a semester of College Composition as a TA while in grad school.

Is the salary at the low end? Would I be better off waiting for something better in the ME?

I did a google search of Dave's and saw that the College of Applied Sciences in Sur is not a place to go.

I also saw where people recommended the city of Salalah as a good place to live. But nothing on that specific college in that city.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Iggyb
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Colleges of Applied Science all over Oman, and they vary as to their work conditions. To add to the fun, they seem to take turns having "issues" as there are management and faculty changes. Cool It may be hard at this time of the year to get information from someone who knows what is happening there at this time. (most teachers are still on the road)

For teachers, what these small colleges provide is a foot in the door to the Gulf. The only thing that your CV is lacking right now is experience with Arabic speakers... and more experience at tertiary level. If you can manage to deal with things and leave with a letter of recommendation after a year... or better two years, you should be able to move up the job market in the Gulf.

The money is low for someone with an MA, but not far off the mark for Oman. Not as much oil money floating around this country. You should be able to find housing for that number. I am assuming that the 700 OR for Travel is paid once a year? or spread out each month requiring planning on your part to save the money? You need to research whether that will cover the costs for you to fly round trip to your permanent address. It likely depends on where you are. It is probably fine for a major city, but may not get you to Left Overshoe, Nebraska.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: