Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1 year experience in China - where to teach in Taiwan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjmuggsie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: 1 year experience in China - where to teach in Taiwan? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm a 24 y/o American white male and just finished teaching at a university in Nanjing, China for 1 year. I have a business BA degree and a TEFL cert through the Chinese government with SAFEA (had to get it to teach). I want to teach in Taiwan now and not quite sure what to do. I only taught 16 hours at the university, but from what I've been reading it seems quite unlikely/not possible to get a Z Visa before arriving without working full-time and also impossible to get a university teaching job in Taiwan without a PhD/Masters.

So from what I've read it leads me to think the only option to teach in Taiwan for me is to work at a chain school. Obviously, working fewer hours would better, but I'm perfectly fine with working full time and I don't mind teaching children. I just want to work for an employer that I can rely on for a salary every month and is a total pain in the ass to work for.

I'm wondering what kind of advice anyone can give me for my situation. Right now I'm in America and it seems like a good idea to get a Z Visa before I go instead of getting one on arrival.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated, thanks.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taiwan doesn't have a Z visa - it's a visitor / tourist visa and the length and availability are dependent on your nationality.

In Taiwan, experience outside Taiwan counts for nothing; experience inside Taiwan counts for very little; show up and hand out resumes or apply online.

I just want to work for an employer that I can rely on for a salary every month and is a total pain in the ass to work for.

You can be pretty much guaranteed of your second requirement..
WYSIWYG

Location: It's good to be in my own little world. We all know each other here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1 year experience in China - where to teach in Taiwan? Reply with quote

pjmuggsie wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm a 24 y/o American white male

only option to teach in Taiwan for me is to work at a chain school.

This is probably very true.
ickle_moose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people enter Taiwan on a visitor visa (90 days if you can get it, but that seems to just depend on luck) then start canvassing for jobs once you are there. There are some great websites where expats all talk to each other and look for/advertise jobs, depending on which city you want to teach in.

For Taipei try www.forumosa.com and for Kaohsiung try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KaohsiungLiving_com/

I worked in a cram school (Jr. Jet) in Kaohsiung for 6 years and really enjoyed it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: