Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEON

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightchina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: AEON Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of this company? This company wants prospective candidates to do a group and solo interview, plan a 30 minute lesson plan and present five minutes of the plan to other prospective candidates. Is this a typical process in Japan for teachers?

Do you know of other companies with similar or very different processes?

lightchina
Question
funkyging

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeon is huge in Japan, check out the FAQ thread http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=82633

A group interview is great for seeing how well you get on with others, to see if your a leader or happy sitting back and chipping in when necessary. The solo interview to get to know you better and answer more direct questions. They will probably be asking you to make a lesson plan to demonstrate you are capable if necessary of make one.

PResent it to the other candidates test to see how you cope being in the spotlight and also for other candidates to point out any improvements you can make. I would say this is typical for any country where ESL is involved. I had to do this in China when i worked there, I was asked by a number of companys in Taiwan to do them aswell

Check out the FAQ thread then google those companies with "Recruitment process" "interviews" etc to see what you get =)
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA, GEOS, AEON, and ECC were the Big Four eikaiwas in Japan until NOVA and GEOS went bankrupt. So, yes, we all pretty much know AEON. Pretty trustworthy place. And, yes, what they ask for is also pretty typical.

You know about the grammar test, don't you?
lightchina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: AEON Grammar Test Reply with quote

No, I am not aware of the grammar test. How long is it? Are there grammar points you can recommend studying more? Thank you for your comments.

lightchina
DragonJade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to an AEON "interview' a decade ago. What a complete waste of time. They didn't even "talk" to you like in a traditional interview. We were all sat in a big conference room, we watched a company video, afterwards one of the interviewers would go around the room and ask everyone a question like "give me an example of a pronoun" and that was it. That was pretty much the extent of a one-to-one discussion. After that, we had to do a lesson demo.

We were sent an information pack asking us to demonstrate a short 5-minute lesson activity. One of the rules was not to bring in or use CDs/tapes. And guess what, someone did. She made it though to the second stage of interviews and I didn't.

After everyone had done their lesson activity, half of us were sent packing and left wondering what the hell just happened. I missed my cousin's wedding and travelled down to London for the interview. A complete waste of time and money.

It certainly left me with a horrible impression of AEON, and made me wonder what kind of people they were hiring if the interviewees can't follow the rules and the interviewers don't actually talk to you.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=45660&highlight=aeon+grammer+grammar+test
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=63847&highlight=aeon+grammer+grammar+test
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=80192&highlight=aeon+grammer+grammar+test
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=79687&highlight=aeon+grammer+grammar+test
lightchina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: AEON Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the comments regarding your time spent with AEON 10 years ago. Does anyone have a recent report on AEON?

lightchina
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every English teacher needs a good grammar. Thomson and Martinet or Swan's big brick are good. There are many online resources, too.

I almost cried when a young foreign teacher couldn't distinguish parts of speech and incorrectly corrected a student in open class at a high school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: