Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for a woman working in DF?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suronosur

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Tips for a woman working in DF? Reply with quote

Hello all, I know for some this may seem trivial, but can anyone provide tips for a woman who will be taking public transportation to and from work in Mexico City soon and will be expected to show "excelente presentaci�n"?

For example:

Do you leave your home fully "gussied up" and then just touch up hair/ makeup when you get to work?

Do you carry a purse? Back pack? Tote?

Shoes: flat and sensible? Or carry a change of shoes in your purse/tote?

Accessories?

I know that Mexican women in general, and capitalinas in particular, tend to take great pride in their appearance. The office where I'll be working will probably be on the fancier side, so I definitely don't want to look like a schlub. I'm only used to driving to work so I'm not sure how to show up NOT looking like I just took a combi, a micro, two different trains, and the metrobus to get to work.

Confused
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am a person of the contrary gender, but...

According to my Mexican wife, it is wise to go easy on the bling, or just put them in your purse (I can speak gringo!!!) and put them on later.

Much as it pains me to say it, many women prefer tailored pants (more gringoese!) to skirts/dresses for traveling on buses/metro, and they are accepted in most, if not all workplaces. If you prefer more feminine attire, it's best to make sure it's modest, as the macho culture is alive and kicking in Mexico.

You are right though that in my non-expert opinion Mexican women do seem to enjoy their femininity more than their UK/US sisters; it's just a matter of how well you are able to balance that sensibly with your personal comfort and safety.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the good tips you were already given, I would suggest a tote or briefcase, and keep all your jewelry in that till you get to work. Since most people take public transportation to work, especially if they work downtown, it looks like most people have figured it out. It is very common, though, to see a whole line of women in the washroom not only touching up, but even putting on, makeup, even using a curling iron. If you like to wear heels, I would keep a neutral pair in your desk and wear flats to work.
suronosur

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies BadBeagleBad and Phil_K!

So in summary:

Pants not skirts
Flats not heels
Tote/briefcase not purse
Easy on the bling
Ride the front carriages of metro/metrobus

BadBeagleBad, when you say there's a whole line of women in the washroom getting ready, is that at the washroom at work? Or at the metro station?

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say pants, not skirts, but keep the skirts modest! Personally, and being a man Wink, I think a woman looks much more elegant in a skirt, as well as much more professional (more important).

Also, many lines of the metro divide the platform at rush hour, herding the women (if they wish!) into woman-only carriages. There are also some (pink) women only buses, but they are few and far between.
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice. Sad indictment of the macho culture though.

Burqa anyone?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the peanut gallery wrote:
All good advice. Sad indictment of the macho culture though.

Burqa anyone?

Why don't men wear shorts here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suronosur wrote:

BadBeagleBad, when you say there's a whole line of women in the washroom getting ready, is that at the washroom at work? Or at the metro station?

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, the washroom at work! I worked for a couple of years in a travel agency, and it was a sight to see! There were 4 or 5 vanities, and there would be 6 or 7 women lined up, putting on makeup, fixing their hair, using a curling iron, all kinds of stuff. Very common.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
\
Also, many lines of the metro divide the platform at rush hour, herding the women (if they wish!) into woman-only carriages. There are also some (pink) women only buses, but they are few and far between.

Few are far between, but they do run on a schedule. So once you find out what time one comes, it will come within a certain window of time, say 10 or 12 minutes, every day. Especially if you are catching it at one end of the line or the other. I live close to a major artery, and have the pink buses figured out, and don't mind waiting a few minutes to take one, just not to be surrounded by a pile of cabrones.
suronosur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated everybody! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: