Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favour to ask teachers in Turkey..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan13446

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Favour to ask teachers in Turkey.. Reply with quote

Hey Gang,

Been a few years, life keeps getting in the way, but I am inching closer to do the teaching thing in Turkey.

I have a question/favour to ask. Factual answers and not speculative ones preferred.

I know that almost all the schools around the world prefer native english speaking teachers.

Born in Turkey, I left when 6, spending the next nearly 50 years in Germany, USA and Canada. No longer a citizen of Turkey, but am in posession of a coveted "Blue Card" that gives me all the rights of a citizen except voting, military service and government jobs. (No tears shed there).
As a plus, I am fair with blue eyes and light coloured hair (when I had hair):
A quick image google of my name will reveal a few pics of me.

The favour I have is, over the next few months, if any of you could ask your employer, "Hey, what do you think of a Turk who is not a Turk nor does he look like a Turk, can speak some turkish, is fluent in English, has lived outside Turkey since 1965, certified to teach, with 20+ years experience in manufacturing technology as a trainer and technical writer...would/could you use someone like him?"

The purpose of this question is to find out how receptive schools are to ex-pats like me...in a way, I understand both worlds, customs and cultures.

Thanks in advance.
Richard62

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all boils down to your employer. If they are happy with your CV, they would not mind employing you. But as I said, it depends on the employer. The blue card states your previous T.C. Kimlik number. If a university decides to hire you, you would have to get a residence permit (ikamet tezkeresi) despite the fact that you have got the blue card which entails a permanent residence permit. This is because Turkish citizens need certain exams (ALES, KPDS) to be appointed as an English instructor. If you want to be exempted from those exams on the grounds that you are a foreigner, then the blue card would not help. You need a foreigner's ID number instead of the T.C. Kimlik number. Blue card holders can easily get a foreigner's number if they get a residence permit from the emniyet. You just need to show your blue card. (You can get it without showing your blue card as well, if you are employed, but then it would not be for free. It is free of charge for blue card holders who want to be treated as a foreigner for some reason).
Yogita

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be considered a native speaker & you should have an edge since you are Turkish. It's a good ice breaker when you first meet them or have interviews. Start sending applications because a lot of them do Skype interviews with prospective teachers even if they are abroad.

Right now Amerikan K�lt�r Derneği needs teachers in several locations, salary range is 1000-1500 USD/month with shared housing for 40 hours in the classroom. It's a mediocre offer.
ossie39

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I disagree with Yogita, Alan will be regarded as more of a Turk than a foreigner. That means he will be paid less than a foreigner, there is the opportunity for the boss to do this. You will fall into that 'non descript' section of neither Turk nor Yabanci (foreigner) so generally you or they can play the card any way for any situation that arises. There are a lot of people in Alan's same situation, Turkish relatives or Turkish born but lived overseas, in my experience they have been treated as Turks. I've had friends in this situation who have enjoyed talking about Turkey because they have had less contact with the country and people (this doesn't apply to Alan of course)I totally recognise the value of "seeing both sides of languages and cultures" but sadly the EFL field doesn't appear to appreciate these attributes, think about foreigners who have lived in Turkey for many years, the same situation applies. There appears to be minimal recognition in pay and perks to differentiate between starting teachers and much more qualified and experienced as it is. I hope Alan finds somebody who does recognise the values. Interesting I think, will you discipline yourself not to speak any Turkish in your employment? Will students attempt to converse in Turkish?
sedaa91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will most definitely get paid less than a foreigner just because you were born in Turkey. That's exactly what happened to me.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan

Somone said that it depends on your employers, well thats basically not true!
It really depends on you and how YOU want to be regarded! Clearly you are more foreign than Turk, therefore that is the path that you need to go down. If you have a British passport and you gratuated from a British university, you have a British name and you have plenty of the right experience to carry you through. The fact that you are bi-lingual is something that I think has already been covered, downplay it, in fact act as if you don't even know it. You will be amazed at the conversations you will hear about you because they think you don't understand, listen and smile!
Finally at the end of the day, most schools don't give a fig or a think of another word that starts with F about your crossover abilities between cultures, they just want a body who looks and sounds like a native speaker, thats you, isn't it?
Alan13446

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it....so if it looks and smells like a rose, right? Laughing
sixthchild

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY!!!

Others take note!
Alan13446

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Laughing
oipivo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many schools are happy to hire Turkish people that are returning from living abroad. Half the teachers at my school speak fluent Turkish and are British Turks, American Turks, or Australian Turks. I really don't think it would be an issue.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an issue where earnings are concerned, act like a native speaker and you get paid as one, use L1 and you get what you deserve!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: