Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turkey - basic requirements for teaching ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teach99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Turkey - basic requirements for teaching ? Reply with quote

Hi - I am a UK-based native English speaker looking for a career change (previously desk bound).

I would be grateful for advice on basic teaching requirements for Turkey?

Just to add I was offered a placement in Asia last year but have temporarily put that on the back burner for now. I do have foreign language skills but unfortunately not Turkish. I also spent some time travelling down the west coast a few years ago which was good fun.

best wishes. Question
Yogita

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually it's a minimum of a BA & a TEFL/TESOL certificate recognised by the Turkish Ministry of Education. Although teach99 I think it's fair game out here in Turkey if a school likes you, they hire you once you're a native speaker. Nothing is etched in stone here.
Alan13446

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I used to tell my son whenever we vacationed there:

[i][b]"The only rule in Turkey is, there are no rules"[/b][/i]

Laughing Laughing

Jumping off moving buses/trains with open doors, boats that haven't docked yet, walking across traffic, having two cops tell you to jump across live tracks at Haydarpasha so you'll catch your train, etc...

Man, life in canada is dull!
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be an idea to bring some start -up cash about 3000 sterling or there abouts would be good, more would be better. Oh yes, try and pack a good sense of humour, you are gonna need it!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Turkish friends once told me that "there are rules for breaking rules." Quite insightful, I thought. Explained a lot of the apparently chaotic driving etc.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the OP. Requirements? Apart from the official qualifications mentioned above, I'd put down patience. Especially with the learners. They may not have as developed language-learning skills as you have, or would expect them to have. Big generalisation, granted. But setting achievable learning aims is usually the way to go.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Turkey - basic requirements for teaching ? Reply with quote

teach99 wrote:
Hi - I am a UK-based native English speaker looking for a career change (previously desk bound).

I would be grateful for advice on basic teaching requirements for Turkey?

Just to add I was offered a placement in Asia last year but have temporarily put that on the back burner for now. I do have foreign language skills but unfortunately not Turkish. I also spent some time travelling down the west coast a few years ago which was good fun.

best wishes. Question

The west coast of what country? Scotland? Mexico? Australia?.

Any rate, the requirements depend on where you want to work.

To get a visa you usually need what Yogita mentioned, plus a passport from a native English-speaking country. This is also what the better language schools will require, even though those same schools often won't get you a work permit, especially in Istanbul.

But things vary depending on the kind of place you're applying to. Generally, the best-paying jobs are at unis or primary/secondary schools and you need experience and/or additional certification (education degree, MA, home-country public school teaching license).

On the other hand to get a job at a shady language mill in Istanbul you need to be willing to work illegally, put up with poor management, speak English better than your students, and preferably have a pulse. I've met schools who prefer to hire backpackers on the assumption that you don't need native speakers to teach, only to advertise, and heard about one school that hired a Croatian who barely spoke English himself as a "native speaker" who they could pay Turkish-teacher-level wages.

Regards,
~Q
sixthchild

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, we have all heard of them, these are the places where some of the best teachers are working these days,......... according to rumours on the internet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: