Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Having clothes made in HCMC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpayvin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Having clothes made in HCMC Reply with quote

Good Day All,

Do you have work shirts and pants made for you in HCMC? Being quite new to this, I would like to hear any suggestions concerning fabrics, and anything else that needs to be taken into account. How much do you usually pay? If you have a favorite tailor or reasonably priced shop that you go to to have clothes made, i'd like to hear your recommendations.

Cheers!
s10czar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all of my work clothes custom made in HCMC and it was one of my better decisions. I've been wearing them for a solid 2 years and they're still holding up without any fraying or fading. Haven't lost a single button and the shirt colars haven't curled on me which was my biggest concern.

As I recall the shirts cost about 100k VND and the slacks/pants were about 200k VND...but honestly at this point I'm just guessing because it was a long time ago and I don't live in Vietnam anymore.

As for materials...well I couldn't really say, I just started picking colors and materials that were on display. Nothing special.

The seamstress lady was wonderful and was fully conversant in English (which at the time I didn't fully appreciate but now that I live in Korea OMG how awesome!) Once they know that you're there to spend some real money you will get all the help you need.

I think it's a great decision to get your business clothes custom made in Vietnam and absolutely recommend the shop that I used in HCMC...

I wish I could give you the exact name of the shop but like I said it was a long time ago and I've long since forgotten it. But I remember the location:

It's located in D1 on De Tham street about mid way between Bui Vien and the Pham Nu Lao on the left side as you walk toward PNL from Bui Vien.

As a side note, I went back in that same shop about a year later to have some pants tailored and the lady still remembered me! She's a sweety.

good luck
bludevil96

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s10czar wrote:

As I recall the shirts cost about 100k VND and the slacks/pants were about 200k VND...but honestly at this point I'm just guessing because it was a long time ago and I don't live in Vietnam anymore.
A

100/200 vnd for shirts/pants? That's got to be years ago. If you want quality made (by American standards) clothes, try An Phuoc (Pierre Cardin). They have many branches in the city. Materials and quality are excellent but the prices are much higher than your typical clothing made here.
s10czar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was November 2010.

I sometimes get the USD/VND conversion a little off because I confuse it with won but...

In USD terms each custom shirt cost $5-7 and pants $10-12. And like I said, I'm still wearing them today so the quality was good.
DNK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Phuoc isn't really an option for anyone over 5'7, though, unless you like your shirts baggy as hell. Their slacks are great, though, and hold up really well.

On occasion N&M has a few good shirts that fit well. The colors run a bit over time, but otherwise they're pretty decent.
bludevil96

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Clothes Reply with quote

When I first arrived here (5+ yrs ago), I bought a few of those shirts that they sell on the sidewalks and corners. They were incredibly cheap; something like 75 cents for short sleeves and a buck for long sleeves. I believe the prices on those have escalated to a whopping $1.50-2.00 now Laughing . I'm not sure why they were so cheap but they certainly were not used and fitted ok. If you're new and needed to save some cash, by all means, grab a few of them until you could afford real quality stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: