Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opportunities with my experience in Malaysia or Singapore
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonJade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
Quote:
It would have cost me almost as much to do a CELTA as a Delta in the UK as they were going to charge me international rates as I'd been away from the country so long.

International rates? I know university courses charge international rates for 'home' students who have been living out of the country, but I didn't realise CELTA providers did that. But why would they just apply to the CELTA and not the DELTA? Sorry, DragonJade, maybe I'm being a bit dense here, but could you explain who exactly would have charged you international rates and how you were able to do the DELTA - a course generally twice as expensive - for the same price? It would be useful info to know - thanks!

I wanted to do a CELTA as soon as I got back into England. There were only a handful of places near me that had a CELTA starting within five months of me getting back, both were at state schools. That's probably why they were going to charge me international rates. Something like �3000

There were two or three places I found which had a full-time Delta starting within six months of me getting back. From what I can remember, one was in Newcastle, one was Milton Keynes. The Newcastle one started in four months time, the Milton Keynes one as soon as I got back.

The one at MK was run by a private language school, had set prices, and was closer to my parent's home, so I though I'd go for that. Unfortunately they didn't have enough applicants to run the FT course, so I ended up doing catchup sessions so I could join the other part-timers who had already started six months earlier, and ended up on the PT course. At least this way I could get stuck in straight away while I still had the motivation rather than wait months before starting in Newcastle. The Delta only cost �500 more than what I would have been charged for the CELTA.

When I was told it would cost �3000 for a CELTA, I though bugger it, do a Delta. There was probably little I would learn on a CELTA that I didn't already know or gain in experience (I'd looked at the syllabus and it was things I'd learn in from training in my first six months in Japan), and a bit of a waste of money when I could get a Delta and actually get something out of it for my money.
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for clearing that up DJ - it's interesting to know that CELTA courses at state-run locations have a duel-pricing system.

It looks like things turned out for the best for you anyway, as far as your studies were concerned. Good luck in Malaysia, and I hope you keep the board posted on your progress as there seems to be quite a bit of interest in teaching there at the moment.
DragonJade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
Ah, thanks for clearing that up DJ - it's interesting to know that CELTA courses at state-run locations have a duel-pricing system.

It looks like things turned out for the best for you anyway, as far as your studies were concerned. Good luck in Malaysia, and I hope you keep the board posted on your progress as there seems to be quite a bit of interest in teaching there at the moment.

I could have lied and ended up paying regular rates, but they would have found out sooner or later. If I'd only been away a few years I think that would have been ok, but 10.5 is a bit long.

I will indeed keep the forum updated as to how it goes. Right now it's not going great. I've not found a single job going that doesn't involve teaching kids full-time. I've sent off my CV to over 20 places in the hope of finding something, and the only reply I've had was to tell me to look at the job listings on their website. It's not looking good. I'm going to start sending my CV off to places in Singapore soon and try my luck there. If not it might be the Middle East for me (unfortunately most of the jobs there seem to be teaching kids as well). Plenty of jobs there.
Nemodot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt the validity of this post. I went back to UK as a non ordinarily resident person after 4 years (never wanted to go back actually) and did. Celta for 890 pounds - same as local price. Only difference is that ref unemployed after 6 months get 50% paid. And east Europeans like poles have a fund that past the entire fee (and politicians wonder why people get upset). And they knew I had been abroad!

But 3 grand? Smell of brown spirals in bull field me thinks!

DragonJade wrote:
Tudor wrote:

I could have lied and ended up paying regular rates, but they would have found out sooner or later. If I'd only been away a few years I think that would have been ok, but 10.5 is a bit long.

I will indeed keep the forum updated as to how it goes. Right now it's not going great. I've not found a single job going that doesn't involve teaching kids full-time. I've sent off my CV to over 20 places in the hope of finding something, and the only reply I've had was to tell me to look at the job listings on their website. It's not looking good. I'm going to start sending my CV off to places in Singapore soon and try my luck there. If not it might be the Middle East for me (unfortunately most of the jobs there seem to be teaching kids as well). Plenty of jobs there.
DragonJade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemodot wrote:
I seriously doubt the validity of this post. I went back to UK as a non ordinarily resident person after 4 years (never wanted to go back actually) and did. Celta for 890 pounds - same as local price. Only difference is that ref unemployed after 6 months get 50% paid. And east Europeans like poles have a fund that past the entire fee (and politicians wonder why people get upset). And they knew I had been abroad!

But 3 grand? Smell of brown spirals in bull field me thinks!

DragonJade wrote:
Tudor wrote:

You don't have to take my word for it if you don't want to. But if you'd like to give Solihull College's Enrolment Desk a call on 0121 678 7000, you can get an answer for yourself.

Checking my email, the costs quoted to me were: tuition �2670, and exam fee �112. Close enough to 3 grand, wouldn't you say? These were the prices quoted to me on May 2011.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: